Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

det2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Looking to purchase a gift, and had picked up a ipod touch 5th gen 32GB, but then thought about getting an ipad mini since the ipad mini 1 is a comparable price to the ipod touch.

thoughts?

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Looking to purchase a gift, and had picked up a ipod touch 5th gen 32GB, but then thought about getting an ipad mini since the ipad mini 1 is a comparable price to the ipod touch.

thoughts?

Depends on the need of the person. If they prefer video then iPad Mini if they prefer Music then iPod Touch. IMO though I think the better buy would be to get them the Mini 2. Ton of power, good for at least 4 more years. I expect Touch and 1st Gen iPad will no longer be supported come next two years at very very best. But I wouldn't be surprised if iOS 9 is the last update for both devices.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012

thoughts?

If recipient has a smartphone, give an ipad mini. But if the recipient has no pocketable computer, an ipod touch would be infinitely more useful.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
If recipient has a smartphone, give an ipad mini. But if the recipient has no pocketable computer, an ipod touch would be infinitely more useful.

Exactly what I was going to say. Getting a completely portable device like a smartphone or iPod touch should come before the iPad mini...it'll be more useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.