iPod Touch or iPhone For Me?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Newbert, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Newbert macrumors member

I would like to listen to my music (nothing more than that) via Bluetooth while riding my motorcycle. I own an OLD iPod Touch (Version 2.2.1) with the old 30 pin connector, and it apparently doesn't have Bluetooth.

So, I'm considering buying a newer model that does have Bluetooth OR a refurbished, not-latest-model iPhone (which my friends say I should get instead). I have no interest in using an iPhone for talk, text or data (and incurring a monthly charge). So, is it possible to use an iPhone JUST for music and perhaps a few apps (using wifi)? Or, am I better off with an iPod Touch for my purposes?

Thanks!

2. AppleB macrumors 6502a

AppleB

You may be able to find a used iPhone 5 on eBay or something on the cheap but the battery may be low capacity so using it with Bluetooth might not give much listening time.

A brand new or Apple refurbished iPod would give optimal battery life for that device.

I see refurbished iPods on the Apple Store for $129-200 depending on storage size.

3. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

In today's value, a NOS iPhone 6S or even the iPhone SE would be a much better value than an iPod 6G. Firstly, batter life would be much better and lastly, the speed is far superior on the iPhones. Just insert a dummy sim if it keeps asking for Sim Card.

As a pure music player, I find the iPod touch superior in sound quality than iPhones but that becomes moot when you are using wireless earphones.

4. Newbert thread starter macrumors member

AppleB,

Yeah - I was leaning towards an iPod anyway. The info you provided pushes me more in that direction now. Thanks!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 21, 2018 ---
    Thanks for your response! Please excuse my ignorance, but you do you mean by a "dummy" sim card (and where would I get one? I assume doing this would make the iPhone work except for (non-Bluetooth) communication functions?

Thanks.

5. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

A non working sim then just turn off cellular data to turn off the radios which wastes battery