iPod touch or iPhone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dalvin200, Sep 5, 2007.

1. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

Now the big question after this keynote is for a UK user..

do I buy the ipod touch with 8GB or an iPhone with 8GB?

I was probably going for the iPhone anyways (just waiting to see what the contract charges are and if it sports 3G - i doubt the latter as Stevey made a point that wifi is faster than 3G!)..

Hmmmm.... decisions decisions!!!

I'm sure a few of you are in the same situation....

flash on the touch wasn't what i was expecting though.. if it had a hdd (more storage), it would be a no brainer to get the touch..

maybe you can help out

2. iBeard macrumors regular

Before the price drop of the iPhone I would've said iPod Touch, but only $100 more for phone functionality...

I'd go iPhone.

3. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Yeh I was watching the gizmodo update and mistook the ipod touch for the ipod classic so I thought it was an iPod Touch with an 80/160gig HD

What a bummer to find out its not though!

I just want to see how much money apple thinks it should rip from our uk pockets with the new ipods!

4. thegrifman macrumors regular

Only $100 more up front, yeah, but then you have a minimum $60 + Junk Feeds every month for phone service. Personally, I hardly ever use my cell phone so I have the pay as you go stuff and 1000 minutes lasts me 10 months or so, so I would probably go with the iPod Touch.

5. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Do you use a cell phone much? If so go with the iPhone so you can have both in one device.

6. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I'm in the same boat, I don't need an iPhone for the phone part, but I'm wondering if the iPhone is any better than the iPod Touch in any respects even if you don't sign up for a plan (I'm assuming all the wifi and other widgets and apps work even if you don't sign up - please correct me if this is wrong)

7. dalvin200 thread starter macrumors 68040

yup.. a cellphone is always on me and i can't really live without it..
    plus i have a smartphone at the mo (nokia) and contract comes to an end in early december..
    so the calendar, address book etc.. are all used..

i guess the iPhone makes perfect logical sense in my situation..

and i have been wanting an "all in one" device for a few years now..

glad my itchy trigger buy it now finger didn't twig with an impulse buy.. ;)

although i'm ipodless now as i gave my 8gb nano to my missus!! lol

iphone it is then.. here's to december :)

8. Jaunty macrumors regular

You can't beat the wheel for a big collection of music. So I think it will be 160 Gb black Classic for all my music which will fit at 320 AAC.

I will give the new Nano & Touch a miss and wait to see what iPhone options we get in the UK.

9. tibbon macrumors member

Do you want to use AT&T?
    Are you in a long contract already?
    Does AT&T do your area well?
    Do you live overseas?
    Do you like your phone currently?
    Do you mind carrying two devices?

If you like your current phone setup and are ok with two devices, get the touch. If you need a new phone and new iPod... get the iPhone. Duh.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Actually if your contract runs out in December, you might want to wait for the January MacWorld...

11. dalvin200 thread starter macrumors 68040

good point!!!!

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Im torn between these as well. I have a feeling the iPhone coming to the UK will be slightly better than the ones currently shipping and having an all-in-one solution (ipod/phone) is really convenient combined with recent price drop makes the iPhone very tempting BUT i have a feeling it'll still command a 24 months lock down to O2? regardless of current convention and you'll have to change tariffs to something more expensive that incorporates a sufficient data plan....making it the more expensive solution overall

With the iPod touch however, you get 90% iPhone and get to stay with your current tariff/carrier and even get a free phone when/if you renew your contract...making life somewhat easy but you still have to carry two devices. Also the touch has a stainless still back which means you need a case for it and we don't know if its using a glass screen or plastic and you're stuck with Wi-FI access only.

Rumor is that europe will find out its iPhone fate at the Apple Expo on Sept 25th so maybe its wise to wait till then before making any decisions.

13. georgeoommen macrumors regular

my thoughts exactly!! especially given that current shipping time on the Apple Store UK says Sept 28th anyway!

14. lordjonny macrumors regular

lordjonny

i was in the same dilemma, but bit the bullet 30 seconds ago and bought the ipod touch 16gb. ive waited long enuf for the iphone here, o2 has the worst reception in my area and don't need to have the expensive iphone plan with a long tie down. twice the storage, thinner than the iphone and with wifi makes the perfect replacement for my recently sold macbook for use at college. i will just get a new phone on contract, one of those super thin ones:D and will have a touch screen ipod before xmas.....2009. having two devices is better as you don't always wanna have both and you dont smash both at the same time;) gd luck with your decisions, peace