iPod Touch, or iPhone??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ddk121, Sep 16, 2007.

1. ddk121 macrumors 6502

I live in the UK, and I have a 16gb iPod touch on preorder. I am unsure what to do. Pretend :apple: announce a 16gb iPhone on Tuesday. Taking to account i already have a Nokia N95, do you think I should cancel my iTouch and wait for the iPhone, or just stick with my N95 and keep my iTouch?

2. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

Do you prefer the iPhone or nokia?? thats the important question here.
    If you prefer nokia, stick with the iPod, if you prefer iPhone, ditch the iPod and the nokia.

3. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

I would cancel the preorder and make a new one on tuesday if you still want it.

I will be buying the 16GB 3G iPhone on tuesday! I would be so lucky! :D

4. ddk121 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats what I'm unsure about. I suppose I would manily be using the iPhone for the iPod feature, and then just the phone. Also, considering the Nokia N95 has a far better camera than the iPhone, and can do video, i should probably just stay with what I've got. But, I canot choose between an all-in-one device, or two devices... :confused:

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You will be getting an 8GB iPhone with EDGE, or not. :D

6. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

Me too, but i suppose id be happy with a 16gb 2.5, or an 8GB 3G iPhone. And i suppose i would buy an 8GB 2G phone if thats all thats available

7. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

With a device as big as the touch/iPhone I would rather that was the only device I had to take with me, rather than a phone as well.

I like the convenience of having everything in one enclosure, but if you take a lot of video on the nokia, then that will be sorely missed.

If you want to check emails on the go, the touch doesnt do that but the iPhone does. If you want unlimited data and surfing the internet anywhere, go with the iPhone!

I will be going from a 1G Nano and Razr to an iPhone.

8. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

We cannot chose for you either. I find all the feautures a bit of a novelty on most phones these days. So what if i can record HD Video on my 76Megapixel camera with my designer Joe Bloggs lens, or that i can navigate using built in GPS... at the begining these features seem great, but after a while the novelty dies, and you use the device for what its there for. Phone calls. I never use the video cam in my current phone. I only ever use the camera for snaps. Nothing exciting. The iPhone does what it does best, without un-necessary features. however i will miss sending SMS to many... and bluetooth file exchange...

9. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

I thought the iphone had sms but was lacking mms? You can guarantee that any iphone launched in europe won't lack either of these though... messaging is absolutely *huge* here, with 4.5 billion texts sent in the UK alone in March (last date that I can find stats - http://www.text.it/mediacentre/sms_figures.cfm)

10. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

does it not have that feature? is there a "Sent messages" view, can you choose "forward" on sent messages to send to another?

11. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

it may lack mms as it is less common and the idea is you use email on an iphone instead of mms. I never use mms and don't know anyone who does, again its a novelty.

12. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

MMS is very very popular (not quite as popular as SMS but nearly so) - sending pictures, or just sending a message that is more than about 200 characters make it essential.

Nobody is going to fart around with email on a phone. Lots of phones have it.. I've never seen anyone actually use it.. way too much hassle - dealing with SMTP server addresses, SMTP AUTH (if your provider supports it, which is rare) - most people wouldn't know where to start.

You can pick up a cheap phone that just calls for £30 if you're so convinced modern features are a novelty. Me, I couldn't do without them - the days when a phone just made calls are long gone. My phone acts as a handy web browser when I'm out and about, tells me when I've got emails immediately, acts as a backup GPS for when I've left the tomtom at home, reports my location to my friends when I'm late for something, takes excellent photographs then uploads them automatically to facebook.. and that's just what I've used in the last week.
    It's an indespensible tool - iphone could become that but isn't there yet.. we have to wait until the EU launch to see if Apple can rise to the challenge.

13. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

i dont think you understand, the iphone isnt like other phones, it syncs with mail just like with itunes. it has the "full email" like the "full internet" with inline attachments and more. when you connect it to a pc or mac it will configure your email settings, you don't have to do it manually (although you can). and when taking a photo, its easy to send it via email etc. and because it has unlimited data, email is free, whereas mms wouldnt be.

i for sure will use email over mms any day!

14. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

You realize that simply won't work? The email settings between your PC and phone need to be different.

No provider is going to let some random mobile phone start sending emails. Most of them don't even support a way to provide that - SMTP AUTH is something 90% of them haven't even heard of.

Most of the modern smart phones have 'full email' that you seem to like so much. Configuring it is simply beyond 90% of users (and to be honest 90% of ISPs).

It's just hassle - text is *way* easier. Enter phone number, enter text, send.
    I don't even know the email address of half the numbers in my address book.. I doubt some of them even *have* email.

The plain fact is if something needs work to configure nobody is going to use it - and who are these iphone users going to email? Other iphone users? *every* phone can handle text therefore text is the chosen means of communication for the majority - I get way more texts than emails these days.

15. iShak macrumors 6502

then why are thinking of ditching your N95 for a phone that does everything only half as good as N95?
    also iPhone will share battery with your iPod ..do you really want to run two devices on the same battery?

I would stick to N95 if I were you, much better than iPhone.

still if you want to get rid of N95, I'll buy it off you.

16. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

but they accepted it in america, and apple doesnt normally comprimise on vision.

you don't have to configure as it copies settings from the computer and as far as easy, enter email (its in your address book or previous recipients so it auto completes), enter text, send! whats so complicated?

17. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

..that the fact that the email will immediately bounce?

You *cannot* use your email settings from your computer. ISPs do not run open relays.. so they aren't about to start letting mobile phones start sending emails from random locations.

You could say use the mobile providers SMTP server.. if you pay for access to it (it's generally offered on business accounts).. but those commonly rewrite the from addresses so you end up having to use the mobile providers provided email address - which of course none of your friends know..

The other problem is email isn't immediate - people aren't sat at their computers all day but they *do* have their phones with them all day. If you want to get a message through fast email is not an option. Email is for stuff you might need dealing with in a couple of hours.. and in that time you could get to a PC and type it anyway.

I do have email on my phone (I run my own mailservers so was able to set it up relatively easily).. I have mailx telling me every time one arrives too.. but I never read/send on the phone - if someone wants to contact me urgently they'll text (or even use voice but that's actually getting rarer). I just take note of it then when I'm next at a PC have a look - 99% of the time it's spam anyway.

I'm sure it's just a firmware upgrade for the iphone to support SMS and MMS properly. The 3G and camera issues are harder.. they'd probably get away with the camera (5mp cameras are nice but overkill for the majority I suspect). 3G (3.5G ideally since the new phones have that).. well.. let's just say it's going to be a hard sell without it. Depends on the price plan. Free on contract and £30/month would sell enough of them (about the same as the N95 is now). Trying to charge the insane prices the US is paying.. no..

One thing that you guys in the US will gain from this is unlocked iphones - it's the law here that phones must be unlockable on request so you won't need software hacks to do it.