iPod Touch or iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Madame Defarge, May 3, 2008.

1. Madame Defarge macrumors regular

I need more storage space on my iPod and I'm thinking of upgrading to an iPod Touch or even an iPhone, although I don't like the idea of having to go with AT&T.

The cell I use now works fine, though it's pretty basic.

Does it make sense to keep my current cell and T-Mobile account and buy an iPod Touch? I would like to have internet access, maps and simple PDA functions, games, etc. without having the extra burden of a $60.00/mo. contract.

How does having a cell + iPod Touch work for you? Do you wish you'd bought an iPhone instead?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can always unlock and use your T-Mobile account with an iPhone. Wait for 3G if you'd like, but then you'll be waiting a month or so after as the unlockers do their stuff.

3. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

It's an iPod Touch, not an iTouch. :rolleyes:

Now that that's out of the way, I think an iPod Touch and a cell is fine. The iPod Touch even has internet. I'd say save your money, stick with the plan you like, and get a Touch.

4. Baron58 macrumors 6502

iPhone, because I don't think an iTouch is going to do what you want. I mean, it's just a keyboard.

5. Madame Defarge thread starter macrumors regular

So you think the rumor is true, that the iPhone will come in an unlocked version?

6. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

No, I think they were saying it'll take awhile for them to be able to write a program to unlock it.

7. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

awww, c'mon guys, I'm sure the OP knows that! dead horse, meet whip ;)

I'm going to be doing that exact thing at some point (I already got the basic phone lol). I used to drool over the iphone myself, to the extent I was haunting ebay to see if I could get one and unlock it to work where I am where it's not available yet--and I'm nowhere near clever enough with the innards of gadgets to have a clear idea what that would require! Until basically it occurred to me it would be a dumb idea, because there are still times when I want to only take a phone or a music player with me when I go out, as opposed to ALWAYS needing the whole caboodle. I mean, before the iphone, I'd never have considered a smartphone (blackberry or other)--and the iphone seems to be in the smartphone category in terms of what it can do and in terms of price as well (although it does it all much nicer than many devices in the smartphone category).

So that's pretty much what helped me settle on an ipod touch + phone combination (actually in my case it would be phone + nano for everyday, and phone + touch for long trips for the movies or long days of going about for the internet access and more developed organizer functions). The idea that I could have more control over what I take along when going out over what I need to carry. I don't have to cart along my music player if I'm going to be spending the entire evening at the pub or movies with my mates, where I'd never listen to the thing.

Anyway that's my take on this thorny issue <g> Hope it helps some :)

8. Madame Defarge thread starter macrumors regular

Roisin - Thanks for your reply, it does help.

One of the reasons I don't want to get an iPhone, is the clumsiness factor.

Having gone through having my cell fall into the toilet, from the inside of my purse, I'm not exactly confident about my ability to keep the darn thing in one piece. Since I have a nano and a shuffle, if I brick the Touch, I'll still have music. If I brick the phone, I'm stuck with an expensive AT&T contract that I can't get out of and I'll have to get another phone, to boot.

There's a discussion in the iPod touch forum, which I just discovered, on the iPhone/Touch issue. While there are iPhone defenders, the Touch + cell thing seems to be a popular choice, too.

9. Baron58 macrumors 6502

Floggings will continue until terminology improves! :D

10. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

don't get either. Wait for the new iphone next month!

11. dizzlemizzle macrumors member

i have a palm treo and an ipod touch and i really wish i would have just gotten an iphone. the ipod touch is great, but unless you're around wi-fi 24/7 then you won't get the most out of the product, where as if you have an iphone you can use it all the time (whether it be EDGE or 3G)

if you're happy with you're t-mobile phone and your contract isn't up then i would just get a touch but if you're in a state where either A) you don't like your phone or B) need a new phone then get the iphone

12. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, iPod touch, now we have conditioned all the silly people out there. iPhone ROCKS, unlock (wait till june for iPhone 2g and September for iPod touch 2g) i have an iPhone and had an iPod touch. having all in one is BRILLIANT.:D

my $.02

iTouch, BAH, iCalssic, iNano, iShuffle, i (1g - 5g).NO, NO, NO. iPod touch- get it right cretins -my new sig!

13. Acronym macrumors 68000

i have a Ipod Touch and kind of wished i had gone with the phone but i dont have a cell phone in the first place so forking out 60$ a month for a cellphone didnt seem to appealing to me, besides i cant get the iphone up here so i went with a touch.

also note the TC stated he wanted
    so an ipod touch would be better you can get bigger storage with a touch then iphone

14. Applepi macrumors 6502a

Applepi

Definitely wait til next month after the announcement and decide then.