ipod touch or iphone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Luis Ortega, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I do very little phone calling and even less texting (actually almost none).
    If I'm interested in using the internet, reading and sending emails, playing games, using location maps and being able to do this in both Europe and in America, is it better to get an ipod touch and a cheap pay as you go phone or get an iphone on a pay as you go option?
    I would like the ability to have good, reliable connections to the internet and map locator and email rather than a more limited capability.
    Does the ipod touch offer these services for free or does it also include charging for them?
    Are there any other phones that offer the same touch features as the iphone and ipod touch? I really like how those work with the finger pinches and swipes, etc.
    Do the ipod touch and iphone have exactly the same touch features or does one have more touch features than the other?

2. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

The iPhone can access the internet anywhere the phone companies service is available and it has a camera. The touch needs a wifi connection and those are the only differences.

3. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does the iphone also include wifi or do you have to pay to use the internet with it?

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

the iphone is wifi capable, but you would need a wifi connection to access the internet. if you want internet access through the 3g network, you have to pay for a data plan.

5. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I believe you have to buy a data plan for the iPhone whether you want it or not. I have a Dare and I am forced to have a $15 a month data plan but i would of purchased it any way. I think AT&T's cost is $30 a month.

6. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks.
    So if I understand this correctly, with an ipod touch I could use the internet for free anywhere in the world where there is a free wifi hot spot?
    But with an iphone, even with pay as you go, there is a minimum purchase of £10/month to keep it topped up? I assume that if I don't buy the minimum top up per month they deactivate the thing?
    Is the wifi in an ipod touch essentially the same thing as a wifi in a laptop and I could expect to do the same things with it that I can do with my airport wifi on my MBP?

7. M. Poirot macrumors member

yeah, you use it like you would a laptop in a free wifi hotspot. you can also use it to connect to your home wifi network if you have one.
    The £10/month top up will be region and carrier specific.