iPod Touch or iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by yettimillan, Nov 4, 2009.

1. yettimillan macrumors regular

Hi.

I am considering buying an iPod Touch or iPhone but I really don't know which to get. I can definately afford the Touch now but the phone would have to wait a while.

Now im not really farmiliar with what sort of apps are avaliable for either device although I plan to have a good look around the apps store. I presume I will be using lots of games. I like the idea of the iPhone but its just whether its worth the big price tag or whether I should just get an 8GB Touch.

Is there a big difference between the 2nd and 3rd generation touch besides storage and is there a large difference between the 3g and 3g s iPhone?

Basically what im asking is what are the main differences besides the obvious fact that one isnt a phone?

2. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

If you already have a phone (which I'd guess you do unless it's broken and you want to replace it), I'd get the touch (or keep what you already have) and wait until the iPhone 4G, I already have a 2nd gen 16GB iTouch and I am waiting for the iPhone 4G (fourth gen).

I think most games will be compatible with both iTouch & iPhone, I don't think I've encountered any games that are only compatible with the iPhone.
    Whatever your choice, I think you should get the better device, the new 09 32GB iTouch, or the 3GS. It would be worth the investment imo.

You can read most of the features on Apple.com, I think it has a comparison page between the 8GB and the 32/64GB.

3. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

If you are in the US... one comes with a 2 year contract of a decent amount monthly, one is limited to wifi only - but no ongoing monthly fee. That plays more into the phone part, but realize it is like $2000 (maybe $1000 if you are family shared - i'm not an att subscriber so i don't know for sure).

Depending on where you go - this $7.95/mo plan might help you with wifi in other places. http://mobile.boingo.com/ (i would gladly pay this if the 3 places i spend hours a week at would become hotspots!).

Do i wish i had more of a constant connection? Sure - because i spend at a minimum 7 hours a week at therapy and kids events that i could kill time with, but it's not worth the $$ to me right now. It's my main PDA with entertainment on it.

Go cruise the app store and see what you would be doing....

4. hajime macrumors 68030

I think touch 3G have voice control but touch 2G don't. Somewhere I read that touch 3G have the same speed as the iPhone 3GS. Given that the iPhone 3GS is not perfect and the top model costs twice as much as that of the touch 3G, I just bought the touch 3G 64GB (should have bought the 32GB model). I will consider selling it and get a Droid or iPhone 4G next year.

5. ProfDrSilver macrumors newbie

I would go for the iPhone, as most Apps are compatible with both... :D

6. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

well I need to get a new phone as well, its just touch screens I dont like. I have one at the moment and am forever pressing the wrong keys, is this better in the iPhone.

And when is the 4G coming out?

7. JAT macrumors 603

iPhones update in the summer, don't expect anything before then. It sounds like you should really find an Apple Store or friend with one of these (either phone/ipod) to try out the screen/gui.

I would say "Yes" to your question. But I don't know what you have now.

8. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Iphone would be the best bet in my opinion, especially if you plan on purchasing one in the future. you can always sell or list it and earn part of your money back. :]

9. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Why not get an iPod Touch now and see how you like it. Then if you do like it consider selling it and purchasing an iPhone in a few weeks. If you think the touch screen on the iPod would be ok as your main phone then its perfect.

You can easily put your iPod on craigslist/ebay and sell it straight away.
    If you do this though, consider buying a protective case and a screen protector to preserve its condition so you can sell it for near asking price.

If you purchase an iPhone now, on contract and dont like it. You're screwed for 18 months/24 months and pretty much have no way out. You might lose out on a bit selling the iPod Touch to buy an iPhone but at least you wont lose hundreds on a phone you don't like.

Good luck.

10. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

Very very good idea, It will also give me a chance to try some apps out. I think you have made my mind up for me, considering the Touch second generation is only £149

11. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

12. undheim macrumors newbie

I thought so too...

wikipeda seems to agree with us. A second generation ipod touch is cheap though, and quite a bit faster than iPhone 3G (which is good for gaming) :)

13. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

14. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

You can also use voice control on the 3rd Gen.

15. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

It says on the buyer guide it says Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle.

But people have said releases are around june/july. I dont understand when its due to be upgraded?

16. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

On the 32 or 64 gb versions. It's not listed at apple for the 8gb.

17. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

No one but apple knows on this one. Traditional iPod updates ar in September, iphone in June/July.

The 8gb had been expected to be replaced with a 16gb version, and wasn't. Then there was the lack of expected camera. There might be a mid-cycle update, but no one knows....