iPod touch or iPod Nano?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OutSpoken, Jun 15, 2009.

1. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

I have a bnib 8gb iPod Touch 2Gen, bought on the BTS discount.

But I'm contemplating selling it for a iPod with a larger hdd, looking at the 16gb nano and touch. I've seen some new ones going for decent money on Gumtree the UK equivalent to (Craiglist)

The difficult thing is, I know I'm always going to run out of space...its inevitable... I just want to know I can store the majority of my music on one device.

p.s Im always downloading music.

I like the Touch, but im not sure I'll make use of the features...as I'm rarely footing it anywhere or using public transport. So video capabilities, internet and youtube on the go are welcome functions but not essential for my needs.

Which is why I also considered the 16gb nano. Cheaper and holds more music then the 16gb touch.

My main purpose for the iPod is to be docked in one of those home soundstations of some sort.

Hmm...or do you all think I should I just forget the hassle and keep it?:confused: its just the dreaded thought of continually having to swap and change around playlists.

p.s. I don't want to wait for the new iPod, remember I got this iPod off the BTS promo, so I'm trying to keep cost down.

2. backmoo pro macrumors newbie

I love the nano. I also put music on my 16 GB Iphone but I keep going back to my 4GB nano; it's the perfect size for me.

Maybe just check your music library and see how much storage you really need in your player.

3. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

If you have that much music, and you know don't want a touch, why not get the classic 120G I have one, and a iPhone I keep all my music on my classic and just current music on my iPhone.

4. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

If you have a growing music library then I suggest getting an iPod classic.

5. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

My library is constantly growing. I have about 3000 songs taking up 10GB. If I had the option, I'd go for a Classic too. Not sure if they will make a higher GB one though. But if you want higher quality music, go Apple Lossless and get a Classic. That Classic can then be used in a home stereo or car connected through USB (better than headphone jack).

6. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Based on this alone, I suggest grabbing the Classic.

7. OutSpoken thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm..thats an option too, but i keep seeing threads where people are reporting problems of songs skipping and pausing on the classics...

8. QuietFun macrumors regular

QuietFun

I'm still contemplating the two myself while I save money for a 13" MBP. The convenience and GB size of a nano compared to the small "computer" of an iPod that I would be able to mess with apps on.. its a tough one it really is.. I need advice on this one and what others have chosen also..

9. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Well, I chose the 8GB iPod Touch, based on how amazing it is after being jailbroken (which contrary to belief, is not hard to do at all).

Internet, apps, and just messing around. Great for me, personally! :D

10. Nasty Roo macrumors member

I think 8 gb is far too small for an iPod. I currently have the 8 gb touch and have issues with not enough space for my vast music collection.

Honestly though, I would recommend upgrading to the 16 gb touch. While the Nano is nice because of its size and the classic because of its storage capacity, the Touch is simply an amazing device. The apps are extremely useful, as is the wifi, watching videos, etc. I realize space is an issue for you, but it's really not a big deal to switch albums, songs, etc on and off the iPod as you see fit. While you may not be able to have every single song you've ever downloaded on your ipod, the features of the touch far outweigh the slight nuisance of having to remove and add songs due to storage constraints.

11. phillyeagles615 macrumors newbie

phillyeagles615

id go classic too. i have the touch. its really cool but I don't use all the features as much as I did the first 3 weeks I got it. you'll like the extra space

12. OutSpoken thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the input guys, this has really helped me out a lot...

It's true the iPod touch would seem like a cool mini mac.

The Classic would definitely be good for storage.

and the nano imo is great craftsmanship ...so tiny yet so powerful in terms of performance features.

awww, I'm confused again..:D

Now I wish i had ordered the 16gb Touch... I think I'd be quite happy with that now... Am I right in thinking I can't return the 8gb bought on BTS? plus I opened it to get at the EAN sticker for the rebate.:(

13. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

14. OutSpoken thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, so I spoke to an apple rep on the phone today and they're sorting out a return/exchange for me - good times:)

The only thing is, I've read how bad apple are when it comes to repaying rebates.. bad times:( and since I'm returning a product bought on the BTS discount, it's made things a little more complicated.

Firstly they had to cancel my original rebate which was on the way in the post to them. They will then refund my money upon receipt of my original pod, which will get picked up in 24 - 48hrs by courier and then I will have to re-purchase the new iPod again and submit a new rebate claim. Such an ordeal!

So i'm near enough in the position to buy again. yay!

I've narrowed it down to the Touch 16gb or the Nano 16gb.

It would have been the touch hands down...but they offer the same £145 discount for the 16gb as they do for the 8gb, whats that about :mad:

So i'm leaning more towards the Nano now... it will end up £4 cheaper lol

What do you all think? a friend said I should wait it out until the new releases in september...BUT the BTS promo ends on the 8th September... I can't imagine Apple would release the new iPods with the Promo still running, or even if they did, theres still a risk they may be exempt.

People who bought recently on BTS, what did you opt for?