iPod Touch or LG Dare?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by millic65, Oct 23, 2008.

1. millic65 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have had a 1st gen. iPod touch since last Christmas and I was wondering, since I'm on the Verizon Network, should I buy the LG Dare for $250 or the 2nd Gen for $230. iPod Touch:
    Pros:Built in iPod, WiFi, Mac OS X, Apps, syncs with iTunes, etc.
    Cons: Not a phone, no camera (both huge things)

LG Dare:
    Pros: Great Phone, 3.2 megapixel camera (WOW!), picture editing software, touch screen, etc.
    Cons: Does not sync with iTunes, smaller touch screen and not as responsive, no apps, have to pay for internet, music player is average

What do you think? Which one is for me? I have verizon phone now and its a VX8300 and its used for basic purposes only (calling and texting). Please answer back in detail.

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Is your first generation iPod touch dead?

I guess I would keep that and get the phone. Why buy a new iPod touch? There really isn't enough of a difference.

[​IMG]

3. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

or if your contract is nearly up, just switch 2 at&t, get an iphone and then teh 2 cons r gone

4. millic65 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is kind of a big thing. I sold my 1st gen. iPod Touch for money towards an LG Dare or new iPod Touch, but I think I'm gonna go with the phone. I'll just ask for a new iPod Touch for Christmas.

5. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

The Dare is a terrible phone. I suggest you to try another phone on Verizon.

6. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

Wait for 3 weeks and get THIS phone instead. Much better than the LG Dare.

7. ncsimmons03 macrumors member

I have the LG Voyager and with unlimited data plan and I wish I would have just manned up and bought an Iphone. Especially since I own mac computers. If you own a mac just get an Iphone all those other phones out there are a waste of time.

8. finishlinewest macrumors newbie

Dare

I just ported my numbers back to verizon because the coverage with the iphone was so bad i couldnt even use it inside my house. i loved the iphone but att has the worst coverage here in SoCal. i got a dare because i wanted the same/similar features as the iphone (i could wax poetically about the differences for an hour but the short answer is)... the dare is a great phone even with its shortcomings...(no itunes sync) however there are other ways to sync (cable, bluetooth or over the air). you can easily place all your music on a smart card and then play from that. the dare can also be used as a modem so you can use it to connect your laptop (something you cant do with an iphone. and you can mms from it something i missed when i had the iphone for the ten days during which learned to hate att.

oh yeah, battery life is absolutely terrible with the iphone. i had to charge mine 2-4 times per day just to use it as a phone. if you used the apps or internet you were really screwed. i use it for business and i charge my dare every two days and i make/receive roughly 30 calls per day on a light day and upwards of 40 on a busy one.

just my .02 cents

9. millic65 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, for all your help guys. I was deciding between a 2nd gen. iPod Touch and an LG Dare, not an iPhone. I'm pretty sure that i'll go with the Dare for now and yeah I have heard that AT&T's coverage does suck compared to Verizon's. I dont need the phone for business just for fun and to GET A NEW CELL PHONE! Also I love when the UI of a device (especially a phone) includes a touchscreen. I know the LG Dare's touch screen is not as responsive as the iPhones but it's better than my current phone. Thanks a lot for the help.

10. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

Funny you should ask that question. I was in a similar boat as you. I just purchased the new 2G itouch. I LUV it but I purchased it after getting the new Dare phone. Now, you're probably thinking, then the Dare isn't worth the purchase since you bought the touch. I luv both! The Dare has more PDA functionality since you can use a stylus with it and allows you to take Hi-Res pics with its 3.2 mega pix cam. Now, if you're into apps as most of us are... You will definitely enjoy the itouch better. Verizon is lax in regards to providing quality applications for the Dare. My answer is, own both... You won't be disappointed.

Jedisaga - Eric

11. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I would buy the new iPT.

That's just me. I dislike newer cell phones, aside from the iPhone, and if you don't want an iPhone I would keep the old phone and pay less cash for phone services. Cell phone service is a monthly dent and rip-off.

12. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Get the Dare i have one and have had it since the day it came out with no problems but i also have an iPod Touch and would not give it up for anything.

13. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

idk about by you, but ive heard the same. BUT my results on the ohterhand. Ok i have the chocolate (vx8550 from lg) for vzw. at the EXACT same spot in my house, the iphone had 5/5 bars, and my chocolate has 1or2/4 bars with NO 3g. i live outside of nyc and no EVDO coverage from vzw here. also, the att is pretty consistent mostly 3-5/5 bars here while vzw has from 0-4/4 1x and 0-4/4 EVDO.

14. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

That may be because the chocolate phone is worse than at&t.
    I have never seen a phone worse than that.
    I couldnt wait to get rid of it for my Dare it consistently broke.

15. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I recently switched from Verizon to AT&T for the iPhone, and here in NJ I haven't noticed any coverage issues.

But if you're not interested in switching, I would say go for a Blackberry on Verizon's network or (I forget the model, not the Glyde) there is a nice Samsung smartphone for Verizon.

16. Quockie macrumors newbie

Me too! I had to replaced my chocolate like 3 or four times. The Dare is the best phone I've ever had. I love it equally as my Ipod touch. :)

I say just try out the Dare, if it doesn't work out, verizon have this 30-day moneyback guarantee thingamajig. Plus, christmas is just around the corner. :)

17. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

my chocolate has fallen from like 50ft in the sky (yes im not the most responsible) and still is working. also a few other lg phones (8300 and 8600) i have noticed the same hting.

18. millic65 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I would but it is going to cost around $500 and I'm not spending that much money on a phone that has stuff on it that I don't even need. That's just what I've heard the price is. If you know something different please tell me.

19. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Blackberry Storm Price? - Yahoo! Answers they say itll be about 200-300 bucks.

20. millic65 thread starter macrumors newbie

And is the Storm coming out on Nov. 10th? I heard that, too.

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

indeed. If you're not going iphone, this is clearly the next best thing. Don't get the dare.

22. m1stake macrumors 68000

This guy is so right. Screw the Dare.

23. RRutter macrumors 6502

Agreed to both.

24. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

My guess is it is going to be closer to $300 and you have to get the BB plan to go with it.

The Dare is cheaper and doesn't require the data plan to function.

25. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Your options really don't make any sense; they're so different (one's a phone, one isn't!) that whatever you get won't fit your needs very well.

That said, if the camera resolution is important to you (and I'm guessing it is) why not look at one of the tons of 5mp camera phones? Hell, there's an 8mp camera phone just released. 3.2mp still isn't going to be a great picture, really.

Keep your first gen iTouch, you'll have a phone with a great camera, sorted?