iPod Touch or Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gkarris, Sep 5, 2007.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I remember when the Blackberry's came out - people said that they can leave their laptops at home, or ditch the computer entirely!

What about the iPod Touch or iPhone? The Touch is missing PDA apps, but third parties can come out with apps for them...

So what do you think? Can I save money and just buy a Touch and if I need a computer use my Mini?

Skip the touch, buy the Classic, and then have to invest in a MacBook?

Thoughts?

On a budget, I think a Mini for home and a Touch for on-the-go should do good...

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's a PDA/internet device/UMPC not a full computer.

4. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

I'll admit that I'm using my iPhone a lot more than I had thought I would, even with my laptop right in front of me. Cool as it is, I'm not writing my thesis on it, so the PowerBook wins in the long run.

Through the day, at lunch, in the library, walking around, the iPhone is there all the time. The laptop stays in a bag or in my office 90% of the time, but I would never leave it at home... Take that for what you will

5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

The iPod/iPhone touch won't replace your laptop, but complement it.

It is a little sleek device that fits in your pocket. Can you fit a laptop in your pocket?

Maybe in the future they'll have some sort of iWork for iPhone application where you can do word processing and get some actual work done on it, but for now it's just a hot gadget in my opinion.

6. pscoble macrumors 6502

The iPod Touch will never completely replace a full laptop like the macbook. I don't really think anyone needs to say why but some examples are: Flash, power, games, speed, storage, apps, not to mention more future proof. If you have the money ready to go the macbook all the way.