iPod Touch or Nokia Phone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by doubleohseven, Dec 19, 2008.

1. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

I usually plan ahead on what I'm going to buy with my Christmas money, and this year I'm deciding between a Nokia 5000 or an iPod Touch. More information on the phone can be found here.

The current phone I have is a Motorola W375. It basically has a VGA camera with no video capture, a web browser and no Bluetooth. After having this phone for 18 months, I feel it's time for an upgrade. The phone I want has a 1.3MP camera with video capture, Bluetooth, purple in colour and a media player, all at AU$129.

The current iPod I have is a 1st Gen iPod Nano. It's only 1GB, and doesn't hold all the songs I want. I'd love an iPod that can hold my entire music and video library (about 2.5GB), my photo library (about 3GB), and be able to go on the internet.

Well, I hope I provided enough information. If you want more details then let me know.

2. svndmvn Guest

they look to me like very different products.
    too bad you're in Australia because in the US you can get a refurbished iPhone for 149$,when it's available,or a 3g refurb for the same amount, but there seems to be now way of circumventing the contract.
    will you be on contract? why not an iPhone,if you'll anyway need a phone and an iPod..
    or look for a first gen iPhone,or a used 3g.
    between the iPt and the Nokia i'd choose the iPod, but i'm pretty much an audiophile. and if I never needed safari on the go I'd buy a crappy thin phone.

3. doubleohseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

I was going to buy an iPhone outright, however, the outright option is no longer available! I can't afford going on a contract, and it's a waste of money for me as well. $30 of pre-paid credit, on average, lasts me 6 weeks. The lowest plan on Optus is $19 a month, but I'd still have to pay an extra $52 a month for handset repayments on a 12 month contract. When I get a job, I'll consider the iPhone.

4. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Because I'm waiting on the 32GB iPhone and also because I couldn't get the iPhone outright either I bought the Nokia E71. It's a fantastic phone. It's thinner, battery lasts a week between charges, it plays AAC formatted music (I have a 16GB micro card in it), email etc is a breeze, really easy QWERTY keyboard for typing. Usually I dislike Nokia phones, but this IMO has to be the best they have made for years.

5. iStress macrumors member

I have to agree with that! Coupled with A-GPS and 3rd party GPS software, you're set!

6. itgoesbuzz macrumors regular

does your phone still work well? or do you just want a new one? My phone works alright but I want a new one, but Im just gonna stick it out until my contract is up and then get an iphone next november. I am mulling over getting a ipod touch as well. But I have a nano that holds what I need (i use it mostly for runs). Part of it is just that I want something new to play around with, but I have no way of justifying the purchase.

you sound like you really want the ipod so im gonna say stick it out with the phone and go for the touch.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Do you plan to use tethering at all? If so, make sure that you check for compatibility: I have a different Nokia (6275i) and although the phone supports tethering it appears to require Nokia's proprietary Windows software.

8. jpan08 macrumors newbie

I sold my iPhone 3G and got a Nokia E71 and I think it's better than the iPhone. I'd go with the touch if your using an old ipod but its a little unnecessary.

9. doubleohseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

I've already got a Tom Tom GPS unit to cover all of that! :D

Apart from a few minor cosmetic scratches, it still works very well. In fact, I may even sell it on eBay, if I do get a new phone.

Nop, I don't plan on using tethering.

I've never considered any Nokia N or E series phones before. My Mum and Dad have always had Nokia phones, and they've never had a problem with any of them. IMO, I prefer the Nokia N95 other than the E71. What's the main difference between the N95 and E71 besides the keyboard? Am I able to use the N95 on my wireless network?
    The best thing is that the Nokia E71 and N95 is available outright!!!

My only problem on having a high tech phone is the fact that I go to school, and I'm worried that it would get stolen. One of my friends had a Nokia N Phone and it got stolen, so that's why I was looking towards a more cheaper phone originally.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well I own a fairly nice Nokia phone (the 5800, which should be on Nokia's Hong Kong and Finland websites), and I'm not going to NOT buy something because I may get robbed. You can get robbed at any moment in time, in any area of the city, whether your mobile is nice or not.

In areas where I feel I should be careful, I'm careful.

11. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

12. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

The N95 has a graphics accelerator and a larger screen. It's also MUCH thicker and lacks QWERTY (but hey, if that's what you're into). Either phone will work great on wireless.

You're not worried about an iPod touch getting stolen??

13. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

14. doubleohseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

Not at all; I bring my iPod Nano, phone and sometimes even my Nintendo DS to school. What Abstract said was correct.

15. Rewes macrumors member

If I were you I would get the best Nokia N-Series phone that I could afford or the 5800 Xpress Music: http://www.nokia.com.au/link?cid=PLAIN_TEXT_1125113 . The Nokias are very good music players where as the iPod makes a lousy phone. So if you want to have two devices in one that is pretty much your only way to go. I also have the iPhone but I might change that to a Nokia N-series phone next year.

16. doubleohseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

Thank you everyone for your advice. I'm more so leaning towards getting an iPod Touch other than the phone. One more question- even though the new models were released in September, would it be stupid to buy an iPod Touch now before Macworld? Has there been any rumors on new models?

17. svndmvn Guest

It being 2 weeks away I'd suggest waiting, just in case.
    Especially if you're interested in 64GB because if iPhones get the 32GB bump i'd expect a bump for the iPts as well. But as you stated, them being updated in september, makes me doubt anything would happen at Macworld for anything iPod/iPhone related.
    Same goes for Nano anything. June would be more likely, but I'm one of those thinking an iPhone Nano would have no sense.
    So, if something happens for iPhones at Macworld I'd expect that same thing to happen to iPods if not at the same time, in a few months.

18. JackMaurer macrumors member

JackMaurer

definately the ipod touch you wont regret it!

19. doubleohseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

Great news everyone! Today I went out and brought an iPod Touch! In fact, I'm typing from it right now. I love it! Thank you everyone for your advice.

20. Babybandit macrumors regular

That's great! You're entering a whole new world. However, if I found this thread earlier, I would have suggested saving up some $$, and getting an iPhone in the Summertime (Since Apple likes Jan, Jun and Sep). Then you will have the money for an iPhone, which covers both the iPod Toucha and the Phone. ;).

I'd still save up for the iPhone if I were you, but you're not part of a bigger universe (God Dang! I sound like a Sales person!)

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congrats on the touch, but I would have answered the Nokia.