ipod touch "other" growing fast

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Glofan, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Glofan macrumors newbie

Installed a few things, and now everytime i eject ipod, plug it back in another random 1 GB of "other" steps in, and idea on to what this is?

2. DSimmer macrumors newbie

DSimmer

I just started having a similar problem - I have 3.26 GB of "other"! I hadn't noticed if it was increasing until iTunes told me that my iPod was full and could not sync my photos. I removed a few movies and now everything is syncing again but I still have the same amount of "other".

I only have a handful of downloaded songs. The rest is ripped from content I own and synced through iTunes. I'm also syncing calendar, contacts and 2 email accounts with Outlook 2007. And I only have ~1,000 contacts - certainly not 3GB worth.

My iPod Touch is a 32GB and it is not jailbroken.

Help!

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

well you have two options here:

1. go to settings --> general --> reset --> erase data and reset settings, resync and hope everything is back to normal
    2. restore the device in itunes and re-sync

4. DSimmer macrumors newbie

DSimmer

I already tried #1 with no success.

I'd rather not restore if I can avoid it. I had to restore a while back and lost all my Notes, map bookmarks and bunch of other settings. It was a real PITA to recover from this and I'd rather not have to do that again.

I'm going to try to SSH into my iPod to see if I can figure out what's going on.

5. jmadlena Guest

Does it do this if you eject and plug it back in right away, or do you just notice it every other day, or however often you sync it?

6. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

"Other" is the operating system, and random files that haven't deleted properly.

The only to get rid of it is to restore.

7. DSimmer macrumors newbie

DSimmer

Well, I bit the bullet and tried to restore. Man, what a mistake that was. Restore failed. First I was hit with unknown error #1604 and when I tried again I got unknown error #6. This last one is what happened the last time I had to restore a few weeks ago.

So I had to move to another PC to get restore to work properly. Now back to my main PC to reload all my content. I'll be back in ~3 hours...

... update: the restore seems to have worked. "Other" is now down to 118 MB.

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

DSimmer - that sounds like you never put it into recovery mode properly, I always find a good rule of thumb is to download ziphone and use that to boot the ipod into recovery. It works a treat everytime

9. DSimmer macrumors newbie

DSimmer

OK, I went through another round of "Other" expanding to >5GB. This time I used the "Reset all contents and settings" on the iPod but when I tried to re-sync I kept getting a "can't read or write to the disk" error message. So I switched from a USB port on the back of my PC to one on the front and the restore worked. It makes no sense whatsoever that switching USB ports would make a difference but hey, whatever works. :confused:

10. krishanu macrumors newbie

How to free up "other" space

In my iPod Touch 32 GB (4th gen upgraded to iOS5.0.1) , 4 GB of space was shown as extra . The following steps can be followed to get rid of it , they worked for me :

Go to Settings > Usage>Music .
    tap edit and delete the music.
    leave the device for a while .
    Then connect to itunes . The "others" space should be freed . Sync once to sort out any discrepancies between the number of songs shown in your ipod and itunes.

11. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

My other is at 2GB. I've deleted everything, done complete restores and set up new iPod backups, but it still stays! HELP Me!

12. Shooterman macrumors newbie

others

I'm going to try a few things i've seen in here and let u know how it wors out

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Have you got anything like textbooks or newsstand stuff? Because apparently, while the apps for these are only a few MBs, the files that you download for them count as "Other".

14. Shooterman macrumors newbie

well I tried ended up restoring it a clean one and its right back up there I quest I'll let it go may be apple will have something on in a year or two

15. ParaFan macrumors newbie

very helpful! thanks

16. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Yes, this is good advice! Go to Settings, General, Usage then Show All Apps. Then click on any app and you can see how much "Other" data it has. For example, RunKeeper is only 30.8mb on my iPhone but it has 13.5mb of data. If it bothers you, delete the data hog app(s). But, unless you're out of space, you don't need to worry about it.