iPod Touch output frequencies?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Winter Charm, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

Hello everyone. I am slightly confused about the iPod touch's audio output.

What are the output frequencies for the iPod touch? My headphones (vmoda vibes) have a response of 12-22,000hz. On http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html Under the Audio category, they say 20-20,000hz. I am confused about what this applies to? is it talking about the internal speaker in the iPod touch? or is it talking about the output frequencies of the headphone jack. The iPod headphones(the white ones) have the same 20-20,000hz specification (they are listed under this).

So, what is the first frequency response talking about? the headphone jack? or the internal speaker? and if it's talking about the internal speaker, then what is the specification for the headphone jack?

iPod touch second gen. iPhone OS 3.1.3 everything is working fine, i'm wondering about the frequencies before deciding to shell out for more expensive ($99) headphones - i got my vibes for $29 as a temporary replacement for my normal iPod headphones, and i liked the sound quality enough not to go back... :p

2. chown33 macrumors 604

Unless you can actually hear infrasonic or ultrasonic frequencies, it won't make much difference.

Furthermore, a simple frequency range (such as 12-22k Hz) is not a frequency response. It would need another stated parameter, amplitude variation, to be a frequency response. For example ±0.1dB or ±22db. The amplitude variation matters as much as the frequency range.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Anyone over perhaps 30 is unlikely to be able to hear anything over 16k since the auditory nerve degenerates a bit.

There was a famous or infamous ringtone that was a 16khz tone that kids used in high school so they could get phone calls without the teachers knowing about it. It worked fine until 1 young teacher heard it.

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Human hearing range is from 20Hz to 20KHz. As stated before, most adults can't hear over 16KHz. Therefore you've got nothing to worry about either way, unless you have super-human hearing.