ipod touch over heating

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bmcully1, Jun 3, 2011.

1. bmcully1 macrumors newbie

i have a second generation ipod touch and its battery always over heats when i plug it in. I have tried different chargers but it still over heats. oh and when it over heats it doesn't just get warm it gets so hot that you can barley hold it, will this hurt my ipod? and why is it over heating?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It doesn't overheat. Overheating is when the iPod says it can't be used because its too hot. The battery does get warm when charging, all lithium batteries do.

3. bmcully1 thread starter macrumors newbie

well i have a 3rd gen. ipod touch and it doesn't get nearly as hot as this one

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The 3rd gens have slightly updated battery parts. Also, remember that batteries are like people, no two are alike.

5. bmcully1 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. darknite38 macrumors regular

Wrong. Identical twins have EXACTLY the same genes. Try taking a science class next time.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Not quite, they have different fingerprints and their DNA can get different mutations as they age (radiation or cell degeneration). Even then, no two twins think or act a like, no matter how close they seem to be to one another. Having twin sisters teaches you fun things. Try getting a A++ in mid level cellular-bio at a highly accredited school next time.

8. QAZWSXEDCRFV macrumors newbie

I also have a 2nd generation ipod touch, 16GB. Every time my battery is below 20% and i begin to charge it, it also get extremely warm and sometimes it is almost unbearable to touch.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That is because the iPod is in "quick charge mode" in which it'll charge to 80% in about two hours. Then it goes into "trickle charge mode" for the last 20% at another hour.

10. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

*facedesk*

Thank you for handling this one, Intell.

11. bmcully1 thread starter macrumors newbie

actually my cousin bought one for me and my sister and my sister has an ipod that is one serial number higher than mine and hers doesn't get as hot as mine? and yes i know you think Im lying about the serial number thing but Im not i have triple checked.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Batteries also age differently. When they have a few cycles on them, 100 or less, they don't get as hot. Then as they get older, they get hotter. Its because the lithium gets more resistive to charging. Have you and your sister used them about the same amount? Or have you really used your's and she hardly used her's?

13. bmcully1, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011

bmcully1 thread starter macrumors newbie

actually she hardly uses hers thats probably why thanx again though