iPod touch owners: Post screen quality here (community effort)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by onionperson654, Sep 15, 2007.

1. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

Hi iPod Touch owners. Cavemonkey50 organized the effort to get some information from many iPod Touch owners, and Arisian has helpfully set up a website, so I guess we (I’ll do some of the typing while Arisian is busy with the real work) are starting yet another new thread just to deal with his website.

PLEASE, just take a minute and help us out. Basically, what we need to know on the website:

POSTING SCREEN QUALITY:
    http://www.thoughtsgonecrazy.net/screen_report.php
    (Arisian may keep us informed of website updates on POST #5 of this thread)

-Name (just a screenname is fine, to weed out duplicates)
    -Where you bought your ipod touch
    -Serial Prefix (first 5 digets, should end in 36 or 37)
    -Week (the 36 or 37)
    -Version (Reported in Settings>General>About>Version)
    -Negative Screen Status
    -Overall Screen Quality
    -Comments (Trying to get an idea of the range of problems)

***A short description would be helpful to pin down the extent of the problem in a scientific manner.***

SCREEN QUALITY RESULTS:
    http://www.thoughtsgonecrazy.net/touch_report.php

GENERIC LCD SCREEN TESTS:
    http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ appears to be a good site found by Mtirv

POSTING RESULTS ON MACRUMORS.COM
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=355495 thread.

STANDARD TEST PICTURE(S)
    [Not yet found, please discuss/post below]

Other comments are welcome and encouraged to improve this process and keep this thread up where people actually read them.

PLUS- if you can find people at other sites to link to Arisian’s site or this thread, that will just mean more data.

(sorry for putting yet another thread about this topic out there, or for doing this in a rush late at night)

2. cwc123188 macrumors regular

is there any moderator that can make this post sticky on the top of the touch forum? it'll be appreciated:)

3. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Not to plug my own thread here - but I, and maybe others, may be unclear as to what our "negative screen status" is without a common reference photo/video.

For example, in playing around in Safari, the web looks really sharp on my 16GB, and renders black contrasts in several photos just as well as my (CRT) Mac. And no photo-negatives when viewed head-on! So, doing that, I feel like my screen status is "great." Trying video, I get greens, negatives, etc., and feel like my status is "bad." So, does that make me a "some"?

My point is that we need as close to a common benchmark as possible, so everybody's on the same page - if it looks green, you're bad, if not, you're good. An image, a certain YouTube video, anything... Maybe this could be a feature of the web page you folks are so kindly putting together (it's a great idea).

4. onionperson654 thread starter macrumors regular

onionperson654

Exactly. I don't know (or have an ipod touch) if the LCD test site works, but a picture or a few would be a great idea.

Perhaps someone could come up with some good photos and post them in this thread itself.

And just as aidanpendragon did, this thread is a great place to discuss these measurements and progress, and don't hesitate to post to other threads (community effort).

5. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Update

UPDATE:

I am working on a summary for bad ipods, should be up in the next thirty minutes. Also, since I'm not so tired, things should start going a little faster.

Remember the more we get the better my ability to graph this kinda stuff
    Ive also posted some links that are helpful.

Check them out!

Great News:

The site is up and running. Use it as you like. I would however suggest that you don't do a whole lot of refreshing, just for the sake of me not having to throw water on the servers (Load really isnt that big of an issue, but there no reason to refresh the page all the time, as of yet).

I am adding an input for adding 'Helpful Links' as mentioned beforehand. Please, if you have any suggestions on how this should be used, let me know. I will have some time tomorrow to develop this site a bit further.

if you have any questions or comments, let me know at brianinchina@gmail.com

Thanks so much,
    Arisian

6. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

For a reference video, maybe Aphex Twin's "Come to Daddy" via YouTube (1st entry that comes up?) Fairly dark video. I still couldn't view it head-on/top-down - but at the 15 degree or so angle that seems to be the "sweet spot," it looked almost as good (or equal) to on my Mac.

Re-posting my LCD results here: on the very 1st test, I get good progressions for almost every color, EXCEPT below about 6. 1-6, regardless of color, is very dark or black.

Quoth the site: "A bad monitor will not show the leftmost few rectangles." That's what I'm getting.

STILL, starting to feel like maybe I have one of the good ones. All web, & lots of video, looks just fine & color-accurate. It's only top-down, and really dark scenes (at any angle) that give it a problem.

7. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Last update of ... whatever today is

Here are where things stand as of now. I know I need to do some work on the site to get it to actually look as if a 12 year old child didnt create it, give me time, tomorrow i will fix it up real nice...reaaal nice.

What is left:
    -- cookie crumb links to all pages
    -- True Homepage w/ verbage
    -- Hide/show slide java div's
    -- DB error checking
    -- Table alignments and how they look as well
    -- Proper links on every page

If you have any suggestions please feel free to email me or PM me.

Also:

If you see the site go down with a bunch of mysql errors, thats just because my host has been sucking alot lately. If you want to get mad at someone, get mad at them, it goes down for about 5 minutes every hour, but no worries, all the data is there, it just loses connection.

If you want to email them and tell them this is important go to www.dot5hosting.com. This was an old clients site that I took over and will soon transfer.

Please post suggestions on what the site should have. Should we register a domain name and try to keep up w/ this stuff? etc etc etc

I hope you guys like whats up so far. Im done working on it for the night

Arisian

8. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Links

helpful links are up.... going to sleep now

9. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

pictures

picture section comeing soon, hopefully we can compare these!

Arisian

10. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

11. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Warning: mysql_connect(): Lost connection to MySQL server during query in /home/thoughts/public_html/screen_report.php on line 156

Warning: mysql_select_db(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/thoughts/public_html/screen_report.php on line 157

12. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

refer to previous post

my hosts mysql server is having issues or going through maintenance. The site works, the sql just times outsometimes. Please refer back, i know its up now.

If you want to complain about it I would be more than happy because that gives me leverage w/ the host to get them to fix it.

Thanks,
    Arisian

ps
    Please be patient

13. storage macrumors 6502

Just wondering, does the black go negative if you hold it vertically? Or just if it's held horizontally?

14. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

not sure

I dont have a huge problem with it except for deep deep blacks. I think its an reflective coating issue. There is quiet a group of people whom have had issues though.

Thanks,
    Arisian

15. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

message sent to my host

After two weeks of being nice. If you guys want to complain you are more than welcome to. Links are available at
    http://www.thoughtsgonecrazy.net/touch_report.html

or just mail them at support@dot5hosting-inc.com

or call them at
    1-866-811-2548

or go to there website and complain at
    http://www.dot5hosting.com

Hello there,

I have been in contact w/ dot5 support for the last 2 weeks. I have to say, I'm ready for my FULL REFUND unless you guys came come up with a way to appropriately compensate me for the time/users I have lost. Just today I got several COMPLAINTS about how my site sucked because YOUR MYSQL SERVER WAS down. Believe me, I know that this is YOUR PROBLEM and not mine. I was TOLD by a representative on the phone that you guys are having trouble w/ your mysql servers, so please don't try to sweep this under the rug or treat me like an idiot.

If my site is not stable within the next 48 hours I will become livid. Your server instability is hurting my LIVELIHOOD!! Unless you guys plan on paying me how much the site is worth to me, I would prefer it if you fixed the issue.

Also, I would like to complain that I haven't heard from anyone in the last 4 days about my official complaints (there are probably three problem tickets open for me) when I was specifically told I would be contacted within 48 hours. This has happened three times now and I have had to take initiative every single time to make sure you guys are doing something about this REAL, CONTINUOUS, and ANNOYING issue. Don't you realize i am losing money by being partnered with dot5hosting?? You guys have treated me and my site like crap for too long and I would appreciate it if someone would tell me what is going on or just fix the problem.

Attached is my logs JUST FOR THIS MORNING. Your mysql server has been down for basically 2.5 hours. Thats unacceptable and its also no in the agreement we have as me being your customer. I've very close to canning you guys because you are KILLING ME!! I know you know this is not acceptable.

Also, if I get a canned response from this, I will officially want a refund.

Thanks (not so much),
    www.thoughtsgonecrazy.net

16. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

apologies

I certainly apologize for this guys. It seems to be going down about 5 minutes every hour, believe me, I think its important that we log this stuff and I am very sorry that I am having these issues.

If I could fix them, I certainly would.

Sorry!:(

arisian

17. owen-b macrumors 6502a

Move to Fused Networks. Much much MUCH better.

18. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

ANYTHING IS better

Anything is better than this. This is some space I had left over from a client. Im going to get my own slice and set everything up the way I want it for this website.

I have had much better experience from alot of diff places, I woulds say that this is the worst ever.

Thanks though,
    Arisian

19. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Big Update

Heres the news:

The site has the following:

Ipod problems w/ and overview of what model/store/location has the most problems

I was working on a page to allow you to input battery life, however, my sql server was just so dang jacked up.

jmack549 over at itouchchat.com was letting me use some of his server space, however, I found out that you have to have them whitelist my server to use his space (pretty standard I guess).

So heres where it stands, the ipod touch reports as previously posted are getting somewhat robust, however, I cant work on them anymore since my server is messing up every 5 minutes and I cant get whitelisted on the other server...

so it works, but it doesnt if that makes sense

Does anyone see a large need for this in the future or not? Or is this something that will die down in about 2 weeks. I dont want to register another domain and I dont want to transfer mine just yet because if I can get the problem fixed w/ mine Im happy (as well as getting it for free I'm sure)

Let me know please. I can keep working on it

Arisian

20. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

I can't see this lasting more than a few weeks. Don't go out of your way to do anything drastic.