iPod Touch predicitions for 30GB?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by California King, Sep 22, 2007.

1. California King macrumors 65816

Do you think Apple will do it sometime in the future? Why or why not? Also, when do you think they'll do it? Feel free to add any other predictions you may have.

-I think they definitely are going to do it. 16GB disappointed a lot of people and it's just not enough space for them. I don't have the slightest clue when they would release it, but if I were to guess, it' probably be around Nov-Dec or April-May.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Hell no - unless you want to pay $1000+ for an iPod. 32GB of flash would cost a motza.

4. AkiNikoTanTan macrumors member

8GB ipod touch uses 2 X 4GB of toshiba flash memory.

32GB may need to use 2 X 16GB of flash memory ... lol

yeah... cost a bomb

5. California King thread starter macrumors 65816

Can't they just use a HDD instead? It'll be a bit thicker, but I doubt that people would care. I would personally be fine if it was as thick as the 80GB iPod classic (but I doubt it would be that thick)

6. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

It's not the thickness, it's the slower speed, poorer reliability and worse battery life that a hard drive would cause that probably prevents it.

7. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

Best quest is they will port with a 4pin FireWire input. Then use a external HD.

That would allow for DL's and running application's.

8. grovertdog macrumors regular

Exactly.. It never ceases to amaze me how simple and clueless some can be...

9. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

Well the average person doesn't know jack squat about the difference between flash memory and a harddrive. They don't know that using flash memory increases speed and battery life (and reduces casing size). They just know about how many GB the iPod says it holds on the box. So I wouldn't call them "clueless" ... just "ignorant" because they don't know.

10. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

I think the 3 terabyte iPod touch will come out next tuesday, along side the G5 Powerbook :rolleyes:

11. GrimmGreen macrumors regular

after using the Ipod touch , i really prefer flash memory now as opposed to a HDD , no "EJECT IPOD" nonsense , it's great

12. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

Not to mention that weird (but subtle) vibrate noise it made when the HD was working lol. I hated that!

13. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

Now that think about it, just add a slot for micro flash drive. It works for cell phones. I use my two 4gig for my phone all the time.

14. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

lets not forget that flash memory is a lot more stable than HDD. I dont plan on dropping my touch anytime soon, but if i do, it should be fine. A HDD would die and implode and then disintegrate into oblivion.

15. PurpleShaman macrumors member

its predicted that the price of flash mem, hardrives, and esp. RAM are goin to be rising thru the next few months and early next year due to supply shortage...so im guessing that apple wont release an upgrade till mid-late next year...and the price of it may just be even higher!

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

32GB would be at the earliest september of 2008, but probably later, since that much flash still costs more that the entire iPod.

17. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I wouldn't be surprised a bit to see 32GB this spring. Apple is the biggest consumer of flash memory in the world and doesn't pay anywhere near normal wholesale cost for flash.

18. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

8+8+8+8 = no it wouldnt

they will not update the touch before late spring

19. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Actually Samsung or Toshiba just started building a 16GB module. Wonder what it will wind up in? :cool:

20. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I predict that Apple will release a 16GB and a 24GB iPod touch sometime next year.

I also predict that they will release a 16GB iPhone next summer.

Prof. :apple:

21. mdibella macrumors newbie

How about giving us the best of both worlds? I'd like a cable that would let me connect my HD iPod Classic to my iPod Touchscreen and transfer videos from the Classic to the Touch for viewing.

Benefit to Apple, they could sell a lot of us TWO iPods instead of just one. Not to mention another accessory cable...

22. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

It's not just a cable to do this, it's a ton of software engineering as well. Not to mention that the number of people who are going to carry two devices around are probably too small for Apple to make it worthwhile.

23. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

the best way to keep track of all of this is to watching pricing changes for companys that produce these drives... Whatever company apple uses for their flash drives in their ipod, just track them and you'll have ur answer kiddies!

24. California King thread starter macrumors 65816

So I guess everyone thinks that Apple is going to stick with flash memory, regardless of how comparatively expensive they are to HDDs?

25. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

I think a 30GB+ iPod Touch that soon just wouldn’t work, firstly everyone who bought 8GB and 16GB ones in September/October would be up in arms about how apple updated them so fast (iPhone anyone?) and since 32GB of flash (2x16GB) would cost some where near £300 retail, which makes the memory more then the price of the actual iPod

Like someone else said, next September expect the 8GB model to disappear and a 24GB one to take over at the same price as the 16GB one now.

Also there not going to be looking at updating something that is still experiencing faults with its first generation