iPod Touch: Presentations and lectures? (Keynote?)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by PrinceAlexander, Jan 7, 2009.

1. PrinceAlexander macrumors member

I lecture at a university. I was considering a MacbookNano (read: MSI Wind) for lectures.

I need it to play video files, and run Keynote presentations. It'll need to be jacked into a projector for the students.

This is really basic stuff. I do not need a full notebook.

HOWEVER, as the thread title suggests, I had a brainwave. I recall reading, quite some time ago, that this could be done with an iPod Touch or iPhone. Given that I am the proud owner of a 1st gen iPod touch (JB'd), I thought it may be worth trying.

How does one go about setting up the iPod to play keynote presentations? What about connecting it to a projector (probably VGA or DVI)? I can't recall whether, or at what quality, the video out methods work.

What are the issues and annoyances associated with this little plan of mine?

If you've done it, or are doing it, please let me know!

2. west.acre macrumors member

You might be getting confused with being able to change slide on the ipod, which I know is possible. It shows up the slide on the screen, but for that you'll need a macbook.

3. Mustafa macrumors regular

4. PrinceAlexander thread starter macrumors member

Cheers!

The Quicktime export option is just what I was looking for.

I can't get my head around the projector issue either. Projectors tend to vary in terms of resolution. This isn't a problem for a notebook, obviously, but I'm not sure how it'll work with the iPod Touch.

I'd be keen for some anecdotal evidence!

5. Mustafa macrumors regular

Why don't you rip some of your Keynotes to your touch, and walk it into a store to see if they can connect it up to a projector?

You might also want to have a trawl through the news from the CES -- projectors are hot items at the moment, and I'd be surprised if exhibitors were not demoing them off their iPhones. This item might be of interest:

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/006250.html