iPod Touch Price Cut?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by luketc, Oct 15, 2007.

1. luketc macrumors newbie

I'm looking to plan my investment in a new iPod, as my 3-year old 60gig 5G just conked out on me :(

I saw the price cut on the iPhone last month, and I hear the rumors of increasing capacities in these devices, so this tells me that I may be able to buy a 16gig touch for less than $400 sometime in the next few months...I hope so

Any thoughts about this? - I hope I don't have to settle for an 80 gig classic, which happens to be about 95% similar to my now-broken 3-year old device.

2. colto macrumors regular

Maybe a small one around Black Friday time. Other than that probably not until next year.

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

I really doubt that we'll see a price drop within a year. Even after that, there might be an update, but that doesn't necessarily mean a price cut.

4. Reimer macrumors regular

Reimer

Not a chance

The iPhone price cut was kind of a special circumstance. iPod's don't generally get price cuts this way and this fast.

5. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

thats a sale, not a pricedrop, and i wouldnt expect until the beginning of summer at the earliest

6. bwanac macrumors regular

also consider with the iphone you are paying $50 a month on top of the initial price, so they can afford a price cut there since they get money from each phone sold from at&t i imagine.

7. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

8. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

your logic is flawless..

9. CraigB macrumors member

Does Apple want another wave of complaints + lawsuits?

10. 864646 macrumors regular

prices touches will probably go down around christmas like maybe 10 dollars or 20

the only reason iphone price went down cus it was unloked
    lol

11. California King macrumors 65816

if its anytime soon they better offer us some kind of store credit like they did with the iPhone..otherwise I'd be kind of pissed.

12. 864646 macrumors regular

13. SuperDaddy macrumors member

Because it's bad business to drop the price so soon after an initial release of a product.

14. iTouch macrumors 6502

With ADC, you get 10% off, I believe or MacMall has it for less than $400 or a few dollars cheaper. The iPhone is different because Apple is also making money off the phone contracts as well as the phones, which is why the price cut makes sense.

15. Cormier6083 macrumors regular

Cormier6083

16. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

Here's the big question though.
    If there was a significant price cut how many current touch owners out there would be mad that they paid the full original price?
    I mean, we saw how many iphone owners were up in arms about the price cut.

I personally would not care if they cut the price, even by a lot. I paid my $450(cad) and I feel I got what I paid for, and now I actually got even more than I paid for because of jailbreak.

17. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

I'd want my money back, because its is money.

Btw I paid $422 american, and they tell me the Canadian dollar is worth more..pfft someone is lying.

18. codingmonkey macrumors member

The Canadian dollar is higher: http://www.x-rates.com/d/USD/CAD/graph120.html, they just haven't bothered (probably won't for a while) to equalize the prices. Apple and others are just ripping us poor Canadians off :(. That's why I might make a trip to Niagara Falls for a little get away and coincidentally drop by Buffalo :p

19. infosprt macrumors regular

It would be nice to see a price cut but after the iPhone debacle I don't think you will see a price cut this year.

20. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

Huh? The iPod touch 16gb is $399

$399 < $400

Or are you not talking about USD?

21. ChiChi macrumors newbie

I would be pissed if they would cut off the price (even though I don't think they will).

I paid 552,40 canadian dollars / 568 USD (which is 400 euro) for my iPod touch. Consider yourself lucky you got it cheaper than probably everybody who lives in Europe.

22. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I paid GBP 238 before taxes for my 16GB touch which equates to $484 at current exchange rates so it's not too bad (compared to a lot of US companies selling over here: Yes, I'm talking to you, Adobe!)
    If they drop the price it won't bother me at all - I was happy with the price when I bought it so why would I get annoyed if they suddenly become cheaper (which may well happen at some time in the future)?

23. Something4Kate macrumors member

The iPhone price cut was for a reason - they had the price point wrong to be competitive in a marketplace to which they were newcomers.

And as newcomers, Apple already have deals in place which are rocking the way operators and handset manufacturers co-operator, set handset discounts and share revenue.

With iPods, Apple are the market leader. They only change price points with each new generation of product. I doubt that there will be any price cut for the iPod touch, especially as it seems to be selling relatively well given the price to capacity ratio compared with other the other iPod lines.

With Christmas around the corner and the iPod touch being the must-have gadget, it would be madness for Apple to reduce the price.

I paid £400 (~ $800 USD) for my first iPod in 2003 and paid £269 for my latest iPod. That's not too bad a price drop over the years.

SFK