iPod Touch Price Drop at Macworld 08?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by aaquib, Nov 18, 2007.

1. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Well, we all know the infamous macworld 08 is coming up soon. Last year, Apple announced the iPhone. This year, it's expected that they'll introduce the 3g iPhone with 16gb of storage for the same price of $400. It makes sense to announce it at Macworld, but with that iPhone announcement, I dont see how Apple can justify continuing to sell the iPod Touch 16gb for $300, meaning a price drop. Anyone else think this is going to happen?

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I don't think a new iPhone will come out...Europe just got the first one!

3. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Nah, a new iPhone will not come out for a while.

4. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

I think the iPhone will get upgrades semi-frequently, just not a redesign.

5. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

6. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Well they already said 'Asia in 2008' so if they plan on launching here, it'll HAVE to be a 3G model ...

7. Apple321 macrumors member

Its not really expected. Thats just what some people think will happen. Others say it wont come out till mid or late 2008 or even 2009.

The price for a 16gb Touch is $399 anyway, so even if a price drop did occur it wouldn't drop below 300 dollars, if that.

I don't think we will see a new iphone for a while physically, even if it is announced in January. Why piss off all the iPhone users who are only 6 months into their contracts?

8. Persifleur macrumors member

That's what they said about Europe...

9. nickane macrumors 6502

A lot of ppl seem to assume that because the mobile market is so competitive apple will have to change their upgrade cycles and so a new phone is coming. It's a load of nonsense. Mobile phones aren't really much more competitive than the computers industry. The designs change but the feature-sets don't really and I'm don't expect Apple to be trying any new designs out any time soon...

Depending on how far off the 3G model is, Apple may put off the Asia release till late 2008, because 3G means a lot more there than it does here. We've had 3G since 2003 and whilst most ppl have it, most of us don't use it. Japan have had it for much longer and its much better implemented (I think they even have some kind of 4G now - altho its not Wimax). But it wouldn't surprise me if Jobsy foisted 2G upon them, its just that who would buy it, knowing a 3G one was a few months away.

As for the touch/iphone pricing, I would expect apple to drop the price of the touch gradually to bring it in line with the classic, as it eventually will replace it altogether. Whether or not that premium is lost at the expense of bringing the iphone in line with the touch memory-wise is hard to say. Apple probably don't know whether or not they're gonna stratify the product line in the same way as they make that transition, as it would depend heavily on the rate at which flash gets cheaper. Right now, keeping the iphone at half capacity saves them a lot of money to spend on the additional parts a phone requires, so that they make a decent profit on the handset, and then their chunk of the line rental revenue (which is probably all profit and more than the handset costs in the first place).

10. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

I don't think the current iPhone will go 16 GB. I think that will be saved for rev2.

Edit: I'm probably wrong, though.

11. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

I wouldn't expect the iphone to go through major, rapid revisions. The next step will be storage increase and perhaps 3G, which could happen next summer (when the iphone has been out for a year)

I wouldn't expect a price fluctuation in the Touch, but I would expect increasing capacities instead. It has to be priced near the iphone or it is going to cannibalize iphone sales. (The latter being more profitable for Apple due to money it gets from ATT)

12. pab277 macrumors regular

i certainly doubt apple will announce a brand new iphone since the U.K. and Germany BARLELY got their hands on the first model, but i do think they might announce new features for the current iPhone and iPod touch, since the SDK comes out a month after macworld 2008. And im really unsure of the ipod touch price drop, i think it would be a bad move on apple's part because they saw how angry people got with the iphone price drop and apple was somewhat forced to give out $100 credits to make nice with their customers, and i dont think apple would like to go through that ordeal again.

13. alana22 macrumors regular

Spot on. So many people tend to forget that those Motorola and Nokia phones are nothing but cheap plastic with a build quality that feels to be about worth 5-10 dollars max so it's quite easy to pump out "new" models every two months.

I don't think anyone thought the iPhone would be as successful as it's been. They really did change the "game", thus, the other phone makers will have to adapt to compete with Apple, not the other way around. The current approach of the Android project is proof of that.

14. LeaverX macrumors member

15. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

Basic economics will show you that until the 16gb ipod touch stops selling like hotcakes, they won't lower the price. I think that initial iphone price drop had to do with lagging initial sales. Otherwise, they'd have had ZERO reason to drop the price.

Other than that, the 16gb will likely drop in price once they release a rev 2 version with higher capacity. They have factored this eventual price drop into the business plan.

I'll repeat, the only reason to lower the current touch line prices will be lagging sales.

16. Germacintosh macrumors newbie

The German Ipod touch is now 30€ cheaper... With the price I have to pay for the "new" software that makes a difference of 50€ between yesterday and today....