iPod Touch Price Drop?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nintendofreak93, May 27, 2008.

1. nintendofreak93 macrumors regular

Does anybody know if the iPod Touch will see a price drop within the next month or two? Thanks. :eek:

2. bbbensen macrumors 6502

Maybe.

If you need a new iPod, buy it. There is no sense in waiting for something that might never happen.

3. nintendofreak93 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I really want a 32 gig, but I don't want to pay $500, when they could be releasing a price-drop for $400.

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Tough to say, nobody really knows. But if the iPod Touch gets a memory bump, then you may definitely see one.

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The 32GB is only 4 months old and I don't think it's cost-effective for them to bump to 64GB yet, so I wouldn't expect a drop for a while.

6. Switz213 macrumors 6502

I'm going to wait until the WWDC on june 9th to purchase mine. I'm quite eager for it, but I'll have to control myself. Most likely since it is a developers conf. and not a keynote, they won't be releasing a new gen or even a higher space model, but they most likely will be releasing a new firmware which may come with a price drop.

-Switz

7. scorpio333 macrumors member

You don't need to pay $500 for it. Refurbs are back at 429, Amazon also has em new and used anywhere from 399 and up. I couldn't hold out any longer and grabbed a refurb. If the drop or new model comes, so be it. I've been on both sides of the price drop/new model and I'm still waaaaay ahead from making out on the MDD drop/speed bump from about 5 yrs ago.

8. nintendude macrumors 6502

i think maybe a price drop for the summer to help clear inventory to get ready for new iPods to be announced in fall, released withn 2 weeks of being announced to sell for the holiday season

9. mmoosa macrumors 6502

mmoosa

they are definitely going to drop the 8gb version...if they could sell the 8gb iphone for £169, £199 for the touch is madness, they are def going to discontinue the 8gb and prob move the size down, so 16gb will be £199 and 32gb £269. lets hope, then i can change my 16gb for a 32gb.:)

10. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

why would they need to clear inventory. they can all be sold together. I think its too soon for a new touch. they dont need a new touch since the new app store will open up a new world for the current touch and boost sales.

11. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

Apple has released new iPods in september every year for the last 3 years, I don't see them deviating from that. The touch won't be changed IMO because it is based off the iPhone and the iPhone will most likely be getting thicker because of 3G, obviously Apple will not make it thicker. There isn't much they can add except maybe a camera(highly unlikely).

12. VirtualWorldx macrumors newbie

13. aethelbert macrumors 601

Unlikely. That's what the back-to-school promotion is for.

14. JAYGEE macrumors member

JAYGEE

I'm planning to buy an iPod Touch soon. I'm going to wait and see what happens at WWDC. I don't expect a hardware update, but they may lower the price. When Apple releases the 3G iPhone, and if the price is slightly lower than the current iPhone, I expect the Touch price to be lowered.

I don't know what to expect in September, as Apple normally update iPods around that time, but I can't see much to be added to the Touch, hardware wise, except maybe an external speaker.

15. joe16 macrumors newbie

joe16

Back to School Promo

Agree. Plus, they said this will be the "biggest year yet" as far as the back to school promotion goes. Maybe a $50 price drop on all the models, and offer the a free 8GB model as part of the promotion.

16. wacow45 macrumors newbie

iPhone

The 8GB iPhone 3G is $199 and the iPodTouch 8GB is $299. Hmmmmmmm, problem. They probably will when the iPhone 3G ships because why would they make the iPhone cheaper than the iPod Touch.

17. aethelbert macrumors 601

It's called a subsidy. You're not getting the iPhone out of the store until you sign a contract, which is now more expensive.

18. reidjr macrumors member

1)Larger screen
    2)All black caseing

19. aethelbert macrumors 601

Larger screen would be pushing it, but I can definetely see a possibility of a black casing.

20. reidjr macrumors member

From rumors i have heard they say there could be major changes to the touch.

21. aethelbert macrumors 601

Sources? Don't start expecting too much from this or it'll be just like the current iPhone situation.

22. JAYGEE macrumors member

JAYGEE

Hmm, larger screen doesn't sound that appealing. I guess it depends on how bigger it will get. :(

All black casing sounds good :eek:

23. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

I don't think it's a subsidy. I think it's just the price Apple expects to get. Especially given the $100 cost estimate on 9 to 5 mac.

I'd think these prices are going to drop soon. I don't think I'd get a touch though - I'll probably get a new phone, and have my old phone for playing with the SDK.

24. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Actually - with the back to school program, I'd bet you'd see a bunch of iPod Touches out on eBay or Craigslist.

I just saw a new in box 32 GB out on Seattle Craigslist for 375.

Maybe for $300.... Here's to hoping all the back to schoolers drive down the grey market...