Ipod Touch Price Drop?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by youashwag, Jul 12, 2008.

1. youashwag macrumors regular

Do u think they will lower the price soon or wait til september? Also do u think there will be any new features for it?

2. youashwag thread starter macrumors regular

well dont they usually do a refresh every year around september and thats usually wen the price is lowered a bit and they add some stuff?

3. illidian macrumors 6502

There's not really anything that they can add to the iPod Touch at this time.

4. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

thank you.finaly somone who is not asking for a camera, gps, speakers....

5. dark-saito macrumors regular

But the iPod Touch has GPS! heh heh jk anyway The Touch may see a price drop but that isn't likely to happen until '09. As for features... don't expect any major updates anytime soon. 2.0 was as close as we'll get to an update in a while as Apple won't render it's iPhone 3G inferior to the iPod Touch by giving the Touch a major update while the iPhone was JUST updated.

6. youashwag thread starter macrumors regular

not even in september wen they usually refresh the ipod line? then what will they do during that event?

7. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I think Apple will get rid of the 8GB touch, and lower the prices of the 16 and 32GB models.

As for new hardware features, the biggest thing I can see happening is the addition of external volume buttons.

8. dark-saito macrumors regular

Well here's my prediction...:

The iPod Touch is not like any other iPod. It is very much so its own iPod. Any updates it gets would be purely cosmetic, MAYBE address battery life issues. So don't expect anything big :\

9. nintendofreak93 macrumors regular

Slight price drops ($50)
    Maybe Remodeled
    Maybe External Speakers. I mean, look at all this cool apps. A lot of them would be great without headphone and some are meant w/o headphones only for the iPhone.

10. Tragedies macrumors 6502

If you want a cheaper price, check out eBay. You can buy both new and sued Touchs far cheaper then RRP.

I don't think Apple will do much. They want to keep it as close to the iPhone as possible, as that's their way to get more sales (guy buys Touch, likes it, then finds out he's missing the cool phone part then buys the iPhone). I'll agree with the poster above, they may add external volume buttons.

11. eff pc macrumors regular

im personally a iphone person so i could careless about the touch but its a rip off that the touch (8gb) is $300 USD when the same size iphone is $200 USD and the iphone has more hardware in it. doesnt make sense to me

12. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The price is already dropping. BHphotovideo.com: $338 for 16gb. $399 normally. This one doesn't have the January or June updates, but for another $10 you'll have them. I got one for my wife. Free shipping, no tax.

13. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

But you don't have to sign up for any contracts to use the touch. Once you pay the purchase price, you do with it what you want. It may not have all the features of the iPhone, but if you are looking for a nice cross between an iPod and an iPhone with no 2-year strings attached, the touch is a good buy.

I'd replace my 5th Gen 60GB iPod with a touch if the price was lower and the capacity was much higher.

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Most people have an unbelievably poor understanding of money. An iPhone costs thousands more than $200! Where as the touch only costs you $300.

15. antibact1 macrumors 6502

Keep in mind the $200 is a SUBSIDIZED price. The price without a contract is $599. For people that can't afford or don't want a $70+ phone bill, the iPod Touch is an attractive alternative. Unfortunately these comparisons are going to persist with people continually expecting a price drop on the Touch.

16. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

What's a bigger rip-off is the paid updates.

17. eff pc macrumors regular

i understand that but your going to pay for cellular service anyway so why not just get it all in one

18. nintendofreak93 macrumors regular

Yep, I got an new never-been-opened 32 gig for 390! :D

19. applegeek macrumors newbie

I personally think they should bump up the capacity, while keeping the price. Maybe:

16 GB - $299
    32 GB - $399
    64 GB - $499

Is this realistic? I find 8 GB to be too little for me.

20. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

because most people don't pay for a smartphone service and with the iPhone you have to, making it even more expensive.

21. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I agree, I think this is what they should do. If they drop the prices, then they'll have to adjust prices across the other lines.

It would be nice if the iPod touch maybe got volume adjustment buttons on the side or a speaker... :D

22. itzdemo macrumors regular

itzdemo

i think a speaker would be awesome! i got a moto rokr z6m phone with a speaker on it and it sounds GOOD. like a nice little radio. and the battery had no probs using it. playing videos, music, and all the calling. it would be nice to be able to show off a video or a song without having to share a headphone set. LOL

and on the other hand a camra would be nice too. sence the touch has the means to send and receive emails with pictures woulent it be nice to be able to take them also ? just makes sense !

23. frankiepdx macrumors regular

frankiepdx

24. youashwag thread starter macrumors regular

yea drop the 8gb version and then just lower the 16gb and 32gb by a $100 and add a 64gb one for $499