iPod Touch Problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sheppy1, Jul 27, 2010.

1. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Hi guys, I'm having a few problems with my iPod Touch. When I turn it on it shows the apple logo for about 10 seconds and then just turns off, it never reaches the main screen, so I have tried to out it into DFU and Recovery mode, I can't seem to get it into DFU mode, only recovery mode but even in recovery mode it isn't detected by iTunes or my PC, I have tried 2 computer so far (1 a PC and 1 a Mac) and 2 different USB cables still to no avail, does anyone have any suggestions? Cheers

Edit: Oh also when it actually gets into recovery mode it sits there on the plug into iTunes screen for about 2 seconds and then just reboots itself like 90% of the time, somtimes it will stay in the recovery mode but it's still not recognized by my PC

2. Skyhigh223 macrumors regular

3. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

I have no idea, I just bought it off eBay as faulty, seller described these problems and I thought it would be an easy fix, just seemed like a software problem and it just needed to be restored

4. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

5. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Thanks for the reply but it still doesn't work, I'm able to get into recovery mode but neither iTunes on my mac or pc detect the iPod :-(

6. markojug macrumors regular

Try putting your iPod in DFU mode correctly here

If that doesn't work, bring the iPod into an Apple store.

7. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

I tried that about 15 times, the screen stays blank as it should but iTunes never detects it, think I'll have another mess about with it when I get home then I'll probably just sell it as it's not worth me paying to have it fixed as it didn't cost me much

8. markojug macrumors regular

What I meant was schedule a Genius appointment, and they will (hopefully) restore it for you.

9. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Ahhhhh ok, would they do that even though I don't have the receipt and it's no longer under warranty?

10. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Awwwww no way! I tried getting iTunes to recognise the thing about 50 times and nothing, not in restore mode and I couldn't get it into DFU mode, I tried a PC and a Mac...Nothing, tried 2 USB cables...Nothing...I cleaned out some of the gunk that was in the USB port on the iPod...Nothing so I thought I'll blow into the connector port and try again while in recovery mode and bam! iTunes detected it, I clicked "Restore", it said it had to download an update so I let it but half way through downloading the update the iPod dissapeared from the iTunes menu and I can't get it to recognise it again :(

11. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

I was FINALLY able to restore it using firmware 3.1.3 after about 200 attempts :D

12. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

Try cleaning the connector some more with rubbing alcohol (91%) or try rubbing it with a pencil eraser if you can, this stuff works for videogames so it might work for your ipod.

13. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Wow. What a terrible experience. :eek: But i guess it was worth it. :D