ipod touch problems after update.....HELP

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bushy180, Dec 11, 2008.

1. bushy180 macrumors newbie

Can anybody help. I've updated my touch Gen 1 and now the Wi-Fi doesn't find any networks even though every other device does and it eats my battary in double time. Listen to music for 45 mins and my "20% battary" warning comes on. Apple support are not much help, investigated my problem but yet to come back after 5 days, followed their advise about restoring and resetting which I've done but no joy.

Any ideas? Only 6 weeks old :-(

2. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

Take it back to where you bought it from and ask for a replacement.

3. bushy180 thread starter macrumors newbie

I purcashed it from Comet when they had them reduced becuase its the last of the Gen1's. I tried taking it back and they told me they would send it back to apple and get them to repair it because they couldn't exchange it like for like because they had no Gen1's in stock, so i thought sod it I'll call apple myself. 25 mins on the phone to them giving various numbers they requested and going through the re-set and restore process and no luck in making it work. They've escualted the probelm and I've chased them a couple of times but they just keep telling me their shoudn't be a problem. I asked them what to do to get it sorted and all they said my sales contact is with Comet and to go back their, so I went back and they again just said they'd send it away for investigation but being the time of year apple are very busy and it could take up to 6 weeks for a repair :eek:

Has anybody else had this problem and found a solution?

4. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

If you bought it from Comet, you must be in the UK.

Try making an appointment at the Genius Bar in your nearest Apple Store. You can do this online using this link to save you hanging on the phone ringing the store. Take it in and get it sorted.

If you don't live too near an Apple Store, make the time to go. They will be able to replace it with a 1G touch as they have refurbished models in store. The refurbished models are cosmetically and mechanically perfect and come with the remainder of your original guarantee. I had my 1G touch replaced with a refurbished model and have had absolutely no problems.

5. bushy180 thread starter macrumors newbie

yep in the UK, sunny scunny!!!!

thanks for the info I'll try and make time to go...........its a 90 mile round trip to my nearest one though.

It's just really annoying that it was working fine up until I ran the update and now it does't work. I've also noticed that a few applications don't run, they just try and open and then take you back to the home screen but I guess this is just fixed by a sync up?

The thing that really gets on my tits is nobody will help, Comet say its an apple problem, and apple say there isn't a problem but I'm not making it up......ggggrrrrrrr

Gonna try going in to Comet when there busy and stand my ground thats its up to them to sort it and waiting 6 weeks isn't acceptable.....hopefully with a shop full of people at xmas time they'll not want an annoyed customer making a scene....he he!!!

6. SteveSimpkin macrumors newbie

You could try downgrading the iPod Touch firmware back to the version (probably iPod Touch 1G V2.1) that worked with WiFi. If this fixes the WiFi problem I would upgrade to V2.2 again to see if it would now work. If not, take it back. It is not much use having an iPod that you can't upgrade.

Do a Google search for "iPod and iPhone Firmware Download" to find the firmware and instructions on how to downgrade.
    Be sure to select the correct version for your Touch 1G model before downloading!

7. bushy180 thread starter macrumors newbie

downgrading and then upgrading was the last ditch attempt Apple talked me through over the phone, then restoring, then hard resetting, then doing it all over again......before telling me to go back to where I purchased it from!!!

I took it back to Comet last night and the only way they are offering to help is by sending it back to apple which leaves me without something I enjoy using that’s only 6 weeks old that cost me £180 for!!!!

...............the most frustrating thing is Apple pride themselves on the quality and reliability of the products and change a premium for them yet when you have a problem nobody really wants to help out...........if you purchases a £50-£100 MP3 and took it back they wouldn't think twice about just swapping it for another!!!

8. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

Don't.

It will be worth the trip to the Apple Store (Trafford Centre I take it), they will be able to help you. I had to have my touch replaced due to battery problems. I explained what was happening and it was replaced without any fuss.

9. bushy180 thread starter macrumors newbie

Meadowhall sheffield is my nearest store......and Meadowhall is no fun at this time of year.........but I hear what your saying......

My point is why should I have to do all the running around, making the phone calls, getting tossed between apple and comet when I've obviously got problem that isn't easily sorted.

My only worry about making the effort to go to an apple store is if they mess around with it get it working then on the next update it does it all over again do I have to go through all of this again.

It was working 100% before the update now no wifi and poor battery life obviously something went wrong and the step by step guide by apple over the phone didn't work and their the ones that told me to go back to Comet......why can't I demand a replacement?

10. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

I would take another trip to Comet, ask to see the Store Manager (not the Duty Manager). Do not deal with anyone else. Insist that it is replaced.

Your actual contract of sale is with Comet so they are the ones who have to sort it. Tell them that sending it back to Apple is not an option and mention the Sales of Goods Act (fit for purpose) and that you will be seeking advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau if they don't replace it.

Be polite, firm and persistent but under any circumstances DO NOT get aggressive, it just won't help.

Good luck.

Edit:
    One thing about when you have tried a restore. Did you recreate the iPod from a back up or did you create a 'new' iPod? If you used a back up you will only be putting the problem back onto the touch.

Try creating a new iPod when restoring and see if it works. I had to create a new iPod for my son's touch and it solved the problem he was having.

11. iRyann macrumors regular

iRyann

I had the same problem with my laptop but i got it from Currys. Currys said it was a Toshiba fault, Toshiba said it was a Currys fault. I went into the store with my laptop and stood and screamed until my demands were met!
    I had people looking at me and calling me a brat because i'm 15, but it was so worth it. I really recommend taking it in and telling Comet that Apple have suggested you get a full refund/replacement. See how they take that.

12. bushy180 thread starter macrumors newbie

well to put things right it was Currys I bought mine from not Comet........

It took a bit of persistence from me and an hour stood in Currys but eventually I got to speak to the Store manager, after been nice and calm and trying not to get too frustrated by the 19 year old duty manager who kept telling me I was outside my "legal 28 days return policy and it was no longer Currys responsibility"?? and said the warranty was with Apple and that I had to take it back to an Apple store or call Apple myself. When I informed him I knew a bit about sales of goods act (sales manager myself) he said that Currys didn't have to work in the guidelines of the sales of goods act because they were too "large a company". So stood there in the shop I rang Currys customer care and asked why their duty managers were lying to customers............to cut it short customer care then rang the store and I spoke to the store manager who apologised for the duty manager and for my inconvenience swapped my G1 touch for a G2 and as way of apology in the festive season also gave me £25 iTunes vouchers!!!

So all in all a good result!!!

13. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

Brilliant result :D

It's always best to speak to the Store Manager, rather than the Duty Manager, as they have the authority to sort things out.

Next time you buy Apple, do yourself a favour and take that trip to Sheffield and buy it direct. That way you only have to deal with Apple and they are much better when you have bought it from them.

14. bushy180 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah since I bought it everybody has said much the same. To be fair apple's support over the phone was 1st class it just looks like the update goosed the thing somehow and there was an un-rectifiable fault.......

..........it still grates a little that if you weren't of a strong mind you would get tossed from pillar to post by companies like Curry's.........."curry's are a big company and don't have to work to trading standards guidelines" FFS I hope a good rollicking was given out to the duty manager!!

...........ah well happy days......just what to spend the £25 on now........or do I give it to the Mrs for xmas?