iPod Touch protective case question

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by derek1984, Mar 4, 2009.

1. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

I am going to be buying a 2nd generation iPod Touch soon and was wondering if the cases that are sold at a place like Target are any good. Does anyone have issues with cases that don't fit right? Is the 1st gen Touch the same size as the 2nd gen Touch? Or should I be looking for a case that is meant for the 2nd gen? Any brands sold at Target that anyone recommends? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. i-Want-Apples macrumors regular

I'm getting an iPod touch as well, I already had one, so I already have a clear protective case, just like a screen protector, but for the whole device. I got the Bodyguardz one, but there are different ones out there, just don't get the cheaps ones, because you never know what might happen.

I have been trying to find a good case, and I must say, it isn't an easy task. I'm deliberating the idea of a clear case vs. some of the cooler looking cases, i.e. SwitchEasy. Ultimately, I think I will go with a clear case, just because I think the iPod itself is beautiful and it shouldn't be covered up. So you need to decide what kind of a case you are wanting, there are also sleeves that you can get, but again, I would still get something like the Bodyguard, from what I hear, they scratch really, really easy, so have some sort of protection on it if you are just going to use a sleeve, sock, etc.

As far as the cases at retailers, it just depends on the case. I found one at a local Wal-Mart that I liked the looks of and when I reviewed it I found out it is nearly impossible to remove, can scratch the device, etc. So, I decided it wasn't a good case. The best thing I can recommend doing is finding some cases you like and then trying to find reviews for it online, good cases can be hard to come by. Again, I've heard good things about SwitchEasy, I just found some really nice looking cases from DLO, etc. so you just have to look around and do a little research. I thought getting a case would be really simple to do, but it has turned out to be harder than expected, finding one that looks good and also works well.

Now, in regards to getting a 1g case for a 2g iPod, I don't really think it will work. Mainly because the iPod is shaped a litle differently, with the curved edges and it also has the volume rocker, which 1g cases would cover up. So, you may be able to find 1g cases for less, but they most likely won't fit properly. The way I see it, if you are going to invest the money in the iPod touch, you should also invest some money and time into finding a good case to protect it.

Good luck and enjoy your iPod!

3. klayman676 macrumors newbie

klayman676

Umm, if you are looking for a case go somewhere other than target unless they specifically advertise one you want, if you just want something to protect your ipod from scratches and just about everything else go to zagg.com and get an invisible shield. :D