iPod Touch purchased on or after 6/17/09 comes with 3.0 software?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JayLenochiniMac, Jun 10, 2009.

1. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Anybody know if it'll come preloaded with the 3.0 software? If not, will there be a free 3.0 software upgrade instead of having to pay the $9.95?

2. dropkickmurphys macrumors newbie

I doubt it, you'll probably still have to pay the $10.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Ask about it when buying your ipod at an Apple store, they might give you $10 discount to offset buying the 3.0 update.

4. JayLenochiniMac thread starter macrumors G5

Those of you who got a Touch around the time 2.0 was released, what happened? Did it come loaded with 2.0 or you still had to pay the $9.95?

This sounds funny considering Apple always had an up-to-date program for Macs whenever a new OS gets released.

5. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

If you get it directly from Apple, probably, but not guaranteed the day of the 17th.

Anyplace else and it might have been on the shelf for quite a while.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Apple didn't pre-load any iPod touch with a version of 2.0 until the 2nd gen touch last September (around 2 months after 2.0 came out). All they did was take $10 off the price of the iPod so that, theoretically, new buyers could pay for the upgrade. I don't expect 3.0 to be preinstalled until the 3rd gen touch in September (as that's when the iPods are always updated).

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

After the announcement of 1.1.4 with the January Software Update, Apple dropped the price of the 1G iPod touch by the price of the update.

A little while later they started shipping new models of 1G iPod touch with the JSW already loaded, the suffix changed from /A to /B.

When iPhone 2.0 came out they dropped the price again but never shipped a 1G model with 2.0 - it was June last year, too close to the scheduled product revision in September.

I would imagine it will be the same this time around, prices may drop but the 2G iPod touch won't ever ship with iPhone 3.0 - that will be left for the 3G iPod touch when it lobs around September this year.

8. JayLenochiniMac thread starter macrumors G5

Thanks for the info. Did they reduce the sale prices across the board by $10 or they gave a $10 discount after the listed prices?

9. titanguy macrumors newbie

10. jmbill macrumors member

But I think that is just for the iPhone. I read somewhere some (or all) iPhone users get the update free, but iPod Touch users have to pay the upgrade. Something to do with some obscure US law.

To be honest, the resellers haven't got a clue here in the UK. I was in an Apple reseller today - the first chap didn't have any idea what OS 3.0 was or how/when it will be released. Didn't even know what WWDC was!

The second salesman had heard of the update but rekoned it would not be free for any iPod Touches purchased between now and 17th June. He did not know how long it will take for updated iPod Touch's to filter through the inventory system. Basically they have to clear what they've got before buying in anything new.

11. techage14 macrumors regular

techage14

I have an ipod touch 1st gen and have downloaded the 3.0 GM from torrent sites. however, I will be purchasing the 3.0 final version when it comes out because I absolutely think it's definitely worth the upgrade and price.
    The biggest feature that I have longing for is Landscape keyboard. When, I first used it, I was ecstatic!!! I typed faster and more accurately! (DUH) so, to answer your question, it's most likely going to have 3.0 installed already. Just as it's been with past upgrades. I would purchase it after 3.0 is released. Good luck! ;)

12. sullidop macrumors newbie

I actually just called them about this and Apple has no plans to pre-load the update, you'll have to pay for it. Probably will pre-load in new version.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Got my touch in early August. Came with 1.1.5. Didn't have to pay because I have an iPhone, but it wasn't loaded.

14. jmbill macrumors member

If you are looking to buy an iPod Touch then it would certainly be worth waiting until 17th June (4 days). But you would be wise to buy direct from Apple instead of a reseller if you want it supplied with OS 3.0. Unless resellers have sold out of iPod Touch stock, you risk buying one still running OS 2.0 and then having to pay the $10 for a software update.

Some people on these forums are saying don't bother - wait for new iPod Touch's in September. But I to be honest I think the only updates that might come through in September would be perhaps be introduction of a 64GB model. So if you are looking to buy a 16GB or 32GB model (like I am) I think these models are the least likely to be changed any time soon.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think that in addition to having a 64GB model, this year's Touch will, at the least, have the faster processor and more RAM, like this year's iPhones. I'm also hoping they'll have the magnetizer. Also, last year, Apple threw in a feature on the Touch that wasn't on the iPhone (Nike+). So there's always the possibility that they have an additional surprise for us, though I won't be upset if there isn't.

16. sonicalpha macrumors newbie

sonicalpha

It's only free if you have an iPhone, you have to pay to update the iPod Touch.

This was also confirmed in the OS 3 demo back in March ;)

17. macfan881 macrumors 68020

my best bet is is to wait atleast a month after 3.0 comes out and deffintly order from apple

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

3.0 will not ever be pre-loaded on a 2G iPod touch. You'll have to wait until the 3G iPod touch is released in September to get 3.0 pre-loaded.