Ipod Touch Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by intensee, Jun 24, 2009.

1. intensee macrumors newbie

So my cousin works at apple and he could get me the 15% discount but that means not free ipod touch/printer. I'm trying to see if I should stay with the BtS promotion or use the 15% discount. The difference btwn the two discounts is 200 bucks for the ipod touch.

I know that the ipod touch is being updated and it will be available around sept or oct. Does anyone know whether or not the new ipod touches would be worth it? I would rather pay 30 bucks extra for a new generation and lose the printer since I already have one. Does anyone know how much the 2nd generations would be when the 3rd generation comes out?

I know there are threads out there talking about the 3rd generation ipod touches and what to expect but does anyone know exactly or a very good chance of what would be coming out in the 3rd generation along with the pricings?

Thanks!

2. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Have you tried looking in the ipod touch forum?

No one knows for certain when/where and what will happen all anyone is doing is guessing. Get what makes sense for you! Bearing mind you get apple care at a discount as well with BTS and not with your friend.

3. qacjared macrumors regular

Let's do the math on this. Since the 13" MBP is the most popular and I don't know what mac you're looking at i'll do the math on that. Since you say you're a student I'll factor in the Back To School Promo

Math is in USD.

Base 13" MBP = $1199
    Edu Discount 13" MBP = 1099
    Cost of MBP 13" plus iPod Touch 8GB with Back to School = $1099
    Cost of MBP 13" + iPod Touch 8GB + Free Printer with Back to School and free printer deal = $1099
    Sell iPod Touch for $200 = (-$200)
    Sell Printer for $50 = (-$50)
    New Cost of 13" MBP = 849.99

Cost with 15% discount = 1019.15

What's cheaper? Back to school for 849.99 or 15% off for 1019.15?

With a little work on ebay or amazon you could save $170 under what apple sells it for.

And since the base touch sells currently for 229, if the new one in Sept is the same you can have a new MBP 13" for 849.99 plus $229 for 1079.98, instead of New MBP with 15% off ($1019.15) plus iPod Touch ($229) which would be 1248!!!!!

That's 168 less, not 30 more

I'd say Apple Supports Education.

4. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

It sounds like he wants to keep the iPod, though.

5. intensee thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help but yeah i want to keep the ipod touch and i want the 15in mbp. i also did my own math and the student discount would be 1793.29 (after the rebates and including tax) and then with the 15% off it'll be 1595.21 (including tax). so its a difference of around 200 bucks. So if i were to wait for the new ipod touch i would be spending 30 bucks more than if i got the whole BTS package (well a little more since im getting that free printer but i dont need it).

But your advice on buying with the BTS then selling it is a pretty good idea but what are my chances of selling an ipod touch for 200 especially since the new generation is coming out in a couple months and with the BTS going on? oh and then if i wait for the third generation to come out and there aren't that many updates and i decide to stick with the 2nd generation im sure it would be cheaper than 229.

Then if i do the calculation of using the BTS it would be 1793 - 200 (sold the ipod touch) = 1593 which saves me 2 bucks from the 15% off right?

6. qacjared macrumors regular

Ah, things change on each model you want. I just did the math on the most popular Mac Model.

What I'm suggesting with the iPod Touch thing is that you sell it to make the mac purchase less mainly on lower end macs. (so one has more money for the LATER iPod Touch purchase when the new ones come out.)

Which 15" MBP are you looking at?

7. intensee thread starter macrumors newbie

im getting the base 15in so its 1699 and 1599 with student

8. qacjared macrumors regular

And does the employee discount allow using it with the Student Discount? (Most Businesses don't partner discounts and I can't find Apple's Terms on their website)

And your sales tax?

(Doing the math these discounts are going to be close)

9. intensee thread starter macrumors newbie

umm from what i've heard you can't stack the 15% with the student discount and the sales tax is 9.25%. the prices including sales tax for the stu discount after taking the rebate for the touch and printer is 1793, while for the 15% off its 1595.

10. boston44 macrumors 6502

My friend also works in cali for apple- i went with the bts deal over 15%. If you want more, my friend gets 25% off older models. Not sure about you, but if you didn't mind an older one there you go.

11. qacjared macrumors regular

Ok and you want to get a 3rd Gen Touch? The 3rd Gen Touch will likely be an iPod Version of the iPhone 3G S (I.E. Current Touch price points with 2x speed and 2x memory like the iPhone Upgrade) The catch is that every year when apple updates its iPods the week before the back to school ends they change the terms of the back to school to only apply to the discontinued older iPods. (They do the promo in the first place to to clear out iPods and sell more Macs) So either way you wouldn't end up with a 3rd Gen Touch in the same purchase; you'd have to buy it separately later. Therefore the idea is to get the MBP at the cheapest price so you have the most money available for the Touch later in the year. I'm guessing since you qualify for the discount you're a student and every penny counts.

The 15 % off would be off 1699 so it's (1699 * .85) * 1.0925 = $1577

I say you can sell the iPod Touch for $200 because it retails at $229 and most people don't know that updates are coming. (How many people really read Mac Rumors regularly???) You'd be giving them an $30 (13%) discount on a new, shrinkwrapped iPod Touch. Even Wal-Mart only gives you a $4 (1.7%) discount off Apple's prices.

The same applies for the printer. You can get a printer up to a retail price of $100. If you sell it for less than that it would be a steal for someone looking for a printer.

So let me do the math after explaining this. Thank you for this. I find all these numbers and saving money very interesting. When I finally buy a Unibody i'll have a better idea of what I can get thanks to you.

So Student Pricing for that MBP is 1599.99 (after rebate for Touch and Printer)
    Add 9.25% sales tax: +147.99
    =$1747
    Sell the Touch for ~200
    =$1547
    Sell the Printer for ~50
    =$1497

It's still cheaper if you get all the goodies. But the question is if saving the $80 worth going through the hassles of two rebates and selling two machines.

12. boston44 macrumors 6502

I asked myself the same thing. Then Best Buy told me they'll match the promo with no rebates. Sold.

13. qacjared macrumors regular

Now, that sounds like the best option to me.

14. intensee thread starter macrumors newbie

well that sounds good but now i'm debating whether or not it would be a good choice to get the 3rd generation ipod touch instead of the 2nd one since if i do decide to get the 2nd one it would be better to get it with the BTS promotion but thanks for the help!

15. qacjared macrumors regular

The idea is that you use the BTS promotion to get the lowest possible price on the MBP by selling the free iPod. Then with the extra $80 you can buy the next up size iPod or do whatever you want with it.

I.E. With the 15 percent deal you get the MBP for $1577 now.
    and then Pay $250.75 (Tax Included) for a 3rd Gen Touch later
    so 1827

Or you take advantage of the Back To School Promo and sell the free stuff now for an adjusted price of $1497 plus the cost of a 3rd Gen or Second Gen Touch later ($250.75)

1747.75 is still cheaper....

You know if you wait till the new iPods are announced the 2nd Gens will drop in value and price. The Idea here is that you sell the free no cost to you iPod now while the price is high (More than $200) and buy a better or cheaper iPod in 2 months. More bang for your buck.

It's like the stock market. Sell High and buy low except we know what is going to happen in the next 2-3 months.