iPod Touch Re-designs?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Destroysall, May 27, 2012.

1. Destroysall macrumors 65816

Destroysall

I have a question concerning the iPod Touch. Is there any chance Apple would choose to use the same rear shell of the iPad on future iPod Touches? I for one, much prefer it then the rear shell the iPod Touch has currently.

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Personally I doubt there will be an iPod Touch in the future. I think another product will come in to fill the void.

3. Destroysall thread starter macrumors 65816

Destroysall

Like a new iPod? I can see why one would think the iPod Touch could become discontinued, given that the iPhone is the more superior device. Yet, I think Apple would give a little more renovations to the device before they decide to move on to something else.

4. serkan macrumors 6502

serkan

May ı ask like what ?

5. serkan macrumors 6502

serkan

So this is the last ipod touch we see ? Maybe this design will change maybe name ? We can say some other device will come as 5 th generation rather ipod touch ?

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I think the iOS lineup will come to be:

iPhone

iPad
    iPad Mini

iPod
    iPod Nano

7. Destroysall thread starter macrumors 65816

Destroysall

Almost forgot about the iPad Mini. I still don't see them forgetting about the iPod Touch as it is still a hit among the majority.

8. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I'm really just hoping for one more iPod, the 4 is just too unstable for apple to end on.

9. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I suspect that the iPod touch will become the future "iPod", with the classic finally being discontinued.

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Perhaps.

11. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

I think the touch still has a place in the lineup and must still be the biggest selling iPod. The trouble with it though, is that all the other iOS devices, are, or can be 'connected' devices, i.e. has a 3G card. Apple obviously can't do the same with the touch (or can they?!) , otherwise it would basically be an iPhone. but it's a big drawback for a an iOS device - that apple are trying to separate from needing a computer. In the case of the touch, you're limited to huddling round a wifi source or tethering from another device!

I would have thought it's still important as a gateway device though. I bought one years ago, when I was still tied in a phone contract and couldn't buy an iPhone.

As APlotdevice suggests, I can see them re-branding it as iPod though, if only to clean up the iPod lineup and remove the *sniff* classic and shuffle. I'd be interested to see their sales numbers.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, but your limited to 'huddling round a wifi source' on a computer too...

13. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

...that's very true! *sigh* been waiting so long for a 3G enabled macbook!

14. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Perhaps a 3G enabled iPod to make use of iTunes match - which would generate more revenue. I would hate to see the classic discontinued, but with more focus on icloud, it seems a probability.

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

That'll never happen. The iPod Touch is already too close to the iPhone as it is - Giving it 3G would make it essentially the same. And seeing as the iPod Touch is only a fraction of the price of the iPhone, it will cut deep into it's sales and lose Apple a lot of money.

16. Destroysall thread starter macrumors 65816

Destroysall

I would hate to see the iPod classic become discontinued. I hope they revoke any thoughts of doing so. However, I do see them focusing more on both the iPod Touch and Nano. I was hoping for them to change the rear shell, improve the camera, and maybe make it slightly larger (too thin for my taste:p).

17. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

I think we may see an increase in the screen size of the iPod touch and the iPhone. I can see apple making a larger screen easy to hold by utilizing the same back of the current iPod touch - it feels amazing in my hand, and it would help offset the awkwardness of a larger screen by letting the user's hands easily wrap around it.

I think the classic will be gone, but if it goes, we need to see 128GB iPod touches there to replace it. The nano is still relevant, and maybe we'll see it gain iTunes match, but I doubt it would get any more of the cloud based services.

I really want to see 4G on macs and iPod touches, the same way it exists on the iPad right now. Hopefully we see it in iPhones, too.

18. DUCKofD3ATH, May 29, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2012

DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Depends on how far in the future you mean. If we're talking heat death of the universe, then I agree. Otherwise, I expect Apple will fix the Touch cameras so they're more comparable in quality to the iPhones. And if the iPhone gets a screen size boost, so will the Touch.

19. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

An iPad can be bought with or without phone network connectivity. The price difference between them shows why. The same applies between the iPod touch and iPhone, and is part of why there are reasons for carrying on with the touch.

The thinness of the touch means there isn't the space for a camera of iPhone quality. They should be getting better though.

I also think the touch would get a screen size boost to match any changes on the iPhone. It will probably still use a different screen technology to keep costs down.

20. cvaldes macrumors 68040

Sure, why not? It's not all that different. The iPod touch has a shiny steel back. The iPad has a brushed aluminum back.

It's really just an aesthetic/style preference on Apple's part. The shiny steel back looks great right out of the box, but gets scratched rather easily even if one uses a case.