iPod touch redesign--cosmetic only

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dudeman486, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Dudeman486 macrumors member

We are all clamoring for the supposed ipod updates sometime in september.

Will it have GPS? Will it have 3G? Will it have a camera? Will it have external volume controls?

Forget all that for a second, and let me ask you this: if there was a "redesign" of the touch, what cosmetic changes could be made? What would the touch LOOK like?

To establish a few ground rules: camera/volume buttons/bigger screen do not count as cosmetic changes. Although these features affect the design of the touch, I am referring strictly to different materials/coloring/etc.

2. calculus Guest

calculus

It will be fourteen inches square and made of cowhide in a variety of fluorescent colours...

3. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

I don't see what the point is?

And, unless you are Steve Jobs (or any other high-ranked Apple Executive) you don't know ANYTHING about what the new iPod touch will have, you are basing you assumptions on only rumors.

Good luck with that.

4. California King macrumors 65816

I think it will have tapered edges so it is easier to hold and has a better feel in your hand.

5. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The best thing that could happen is to make it easier to hold. The Touch actually comes with a warning that it may cause cramping in your hand(s).

Then they should put hard buttons on the edges for Pause/play, Vol +/-, and FF/RW (next/prev). Once there are buttons, put a setting for locking just the screen or both the screen and the buttons.

6. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I don't think your going to see any cosmetic changes to the front of the iPod, it will stay the same, just like the iPhone. The only cosmetic change I think that is remotely possible is using a different material for the back.

7. crunchb3rry macrumors newbie

They need to maybe make it a little thicker or whatever it takes to cut the chunks off the top and bottom of the front. That little button can be put right on the bottom edge of the LCD bezel. If there's only one face button, there doesn't need to be that much "face" on the device apart from the LCD screen.

Supposed leaked case design CAD drawings show that the iPod Touch is getting no visible change on the front. I bet there's just a matching gloss back. Because Apple are idiots and continue to have two different devices look identical. Like General Electric coming out with a new line of toasters shaped like coffee makers.

8. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

What I'm afraid of is that they'll change the back to make it like the iPhone. That would be terrible.

9. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

Although unlikely, I think it would be great if they put a black metal back on the touch (don't know what the material is, but i'm referring to the same black metal that Apple use on the front of the black classics and nanos. It would look great, and it would reduce scratching significantly. On top of that, the black plastic for the antenna would be much less visible.

10. drb6 macrumors regular

A curved back would definitely be appreciated although I'm not sure how likely. But if they don't change much and GPS turns out to be a rumor, then I will just buy the old model off of refurb. Don't see the point otherwise, the capacities will be remaining the same.

Price drop is the only other thing I can envision, if no major changes.