iPod Touch refurb or brand new??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 99MustangGTman, Dec 8, 2008.

1. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

Well I can find a 16GB iPod Touch refurb for $219 shipped off the apple website. http://store.apple.com/us/product/FA627LL/B?mco=MjE0NTU0MQ#overview

I am guessing this is a 1st Gen model?

Should I just go ahead and buy a brand new 2nd Gen. 16GB iPod Touch off MacMall for $275 shipped or go with the refurb?

I have read many that have bought refurb macbook have been satisfied with it, but I haven't heard anything on the iPod Touch refurb.

Is the $56 savings really worth it?

Thanks, Ray.

2. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

Well my experience with refurb items is that they work just as well as the brand new ones, and look brand new.

You have to ask yourself a few question:

- Will you want to jailbreak?
    -themes, games, free apps etc​

- Are you into games? (the 2nd gen has more processing power)

- Do you really need external volume buttons and internal speaker?

3. 99MustangGTman thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick reply.

Not really sure if I want to jailbreak as I have never seen all the different programs you can put on it.

Not really into games, but could be fun to use while i'm bored in class, but its also got the internet for that.

External volume is a feature i'd really like to have since I use the gym frequently and I always have my iPod on me and it would be nice to quickly turn down the volume when someone wants to talk or whatnot. But on my other iPod I went ahead and set the volume accordingly to all the songs in iTune to make sure the nest song isn't blasting in my ear.

Also I would like to know if the iPod Touch has a lock feature like the iPod classic. I'd really like to have this feature since I put my iPod between my gym shorts and my waist, I don't use a clip. I don't want the songs to be constantly changing from me bumping it all the time.

4. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

Well that being said I would suggest getting the 2nd gen. Both versions have the lock (actually all ipods do lol). And even when you click the sleep/lock button again to unlock, you have to slide a bar to completely unlock it (making sure you don't accidentally press the sleep/lock button).

You also don't strike me as a techy kind of guy so I don't think you'd be interested in jailbreaking. Go for the 2nd gen.

5. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

Mustang-- this iPod is kinda heavy to stick in the waistband of your shorts. You might better get a case with a clip, or an armband.

6. 99MustangGTman thread starter macrumors 6502

When it comes to electronics i'm not too savvy. But anything to do with cars, engine, electrical, tuning, you name it, I can do it. Just not too up to date when it comes to computer tech.

Thanks for the tip, i'll look into it.

7. descartes macrumors 6502

If you can live without the screen, the best ipod I have found for the gym is the shuffle. they built for drops and inevitable slams into equipment.

8. descartes macrumors 6502

oh, and refurbs are great. look brand new. just comes down to whether you value the added features of the 2nd gen

9. 99MustangGTman thread starter macrumors 6502

I think i'm going to get a brand new 2nd gen since its a christmas gift anyways.

Going to pair that with the Nike+ thing and some new shoes and I can track my running now!