iPod Touch Rental Movies.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by hngo4619, Sep 6, 2008.

1. hngo4619 macrumors newbie

Well, I was just wondering about rental movies in iTunes. If you rent a movie in iTunes, could you convert it into your iPod Touch and if you could, how long will it last? Also, if the movie did expire, what would happen if I had it converted to my iPod Touch? Would, it delete itself the next time I connected my iPod Touch to the computer, somehow delete itself on my iPod Touch after the movie expires, or would it stay on forever (highly unlikely but it would make my day :D:D)?

I appreciate any information you could give me.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

From Apple:
    Rentals to go.
    Movies you rent from the iTunes Store transfer to your iPod1 or iPhone to watch on the go. Either device remembers where you stopped watching on your computer and picks up where you left off.​
    Link

If it expires, I believe it will automatically delete itself from your iPod touch (as soon as the movie is finished).

3. hngo4619 thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? I didn't think that they would actually have it remotely delete itself. Very good. I don't want to use $15 on a movie though. Although, it is cheaper than a DVD and I don't have to waste gas to go and buy it.

So you're certain that they'll delete themselves after the movie is done playing or the movie expires, right?

EDIT: I looked at all the FAQ's and info that apple has put out about rented movies and all it says is that it'll delete itself from the iTunes library. Nowhere have I seen that it says it'll delete itself from your iPod or iPhone. I guess I'll have to rent it, sync it onto my iPod, and see what happens.

Also, could you burn the movie onto a disc after you've rented it? It doesn't seem likely that iTunes would allow this without somehow trying to prevent it but I'm certain there's a way to burn it onto a disc.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Huh? I thought it was $2.99 to rent a movie, and $9.99 to buy one.

5. hngo4619 thread starter macrumors newbie

Some are. Old movies are $9.99 and new releases are usually $14.99. Some rentals also cost $3.99.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Oh, okay.

If you want to get and keep movies without paying iTunes prices for them, there are other ways... ;)

7. hngo4619 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know of a number of ways but when the ways that I'm using don't have the movies that I want or the quality and audio is crappy, I feel like going legitimate you know? Haha. I usually use the method that I said in this post, if you want to know. It's really effective and the quality and sound of the movie is really good depending on which quality you chose to convert it to.

8. yawnyj macrumors member

I believe you are in error about the price of the movies. Movies in Itunes that you buy are $9.99 or $14.99, not the rental ones which are usually $3.99 or so. If you buy them they are yours forever as long as you keep them in the library or have them backed up some way, and yes you are allowed to burn them to a dvd to use. You cannot burn the rental ones. All of this information should be on the instructions when you download them in itunes, or at Apple.com. I believe the rental ones are only in your library for a limited time, before they are deleted. I hope this helped some.

9. yawnyj macrumors member

10. hngo4619 thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe that I stated the prices for movies were $9.99 or $14.99 and rentals are $2.99 or $3.99.

Anyways, thanks for the information.

11. yawnyj macrumors member

Ipod rental movies

Oops. Sorry, you were talking about rental movies and I did not see where you differentiated between the two types in the post.

12. hngo4619 thread starter macrumors newbie

The information in Apple.com or iTunes only says that the movie will delete itself from iTunes after it expires but it doesn't say anything about on an iPod but I did some hands-on research and found out that it still has a 30-day expiration date and if you watch it, there's still a 24-hour time limit and afterwards, it'll automatically delete itself from the iPod. Thanks for all the help guys and I know someone's stated this information before too.