iPod touch repair catch 22 Any help greatly appreciated!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tipman2000, Jul 19, 2011.

1. tipman2000 macrumors member

tipman2000

hi all.
    i am having a problem with my ipod touch 2g 8gb. I bought this ipod from a friend cheap knowing the backlight on the display was out. I managed to pry it open and pull out the dead display. Unfortunately in my haste i broke the cable connecting the digitizer, so i needed a new one of those too. No big deal, the bezel was pretty beat up and needed to be replaced anyway. Finally, i ordered the LCD and digitizer on amazon. The LCD arrived yesterday, and i (once again in haste) decided to install it and make sure it was a functional unit. Luckily it worked fine. The problem is, i now face a different problem. I just got the digitizer and tried to turn the device off to add the new part. Then it dawned on me: In order to power the device off, i needed a home button, or at least a working touch screen. Both of these are on the digitizer assembly. You must turn off your ipod to install a digitizer! I am basically stuck at this point and have tried everything to run the battery down, but without a touch panel, i cant unlock it, and so i cant keep it on. Basically i would have to sit with the ipod for about 5 or so hours and keep pressing the sleep button to keep the display on. Unfortunately i do not have the time or patience for that. Anybody know what to do from here? :confused::confused::mad:

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

The battery will still drain with the screen off, just leave it overnight.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

4. tipman2000 thread starter macrumors member

tipman2000

i've left it for a few nights now, battery hasnt drained... i guess it will eventually, but that would take months..

5. dragnworks macrumors newbie

Battery Connector?

Is there a connector for the battery?
    If So disconnect it, Install part and reconnect battery.