Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott549

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Since I upgraded to iOS 5, whenever I sync my iPod Touch (4th gen 64 gb) it updates and copies 2,950 files. It takes a lot of time and it's using a lot of computer memory -- the spinning wheel goes on and off. There are about 17,000 files on the iPod, so it is only selected files.

Any ideas of what the problem is?

Thanks.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Omg I have the same thing! It also has said updating album art on 400 so songs. Wihich. Happens to be the same songs that are not displaying the art on my iPod. But they do have the art work in the files themselves! But back to your post mine does this for 300 or so songs. It says updating or even sometimes says something with genius!

Scott549

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
anyone else?

I've been researching this, and similar problems have come up with previous iTunes updates. People have come up with odd solutions like re-tagging all the files, or playing the tracks directly from the iPod. If I figure anything out I'll post it. Otherwise we'll have to wait for a software update. It's an aggravating problem.

Scott549

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Retagging just means to change something on the data part of the file, e.g. change the beats per minute to zero on all the files. Someone had tried that to solve a similar issue. I tried it and it didn't work. I think Apple is going to need to fix this with a software update. Too bad they didn't figure it out from the past experience.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Is 128kbps conversion turned on? I have the same thing happen with the devices that have the conversion on, it seems to resync several songs every time I hook it up.

When disabled it doesn't happen.

Scott549

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
No, I do not have the 128 kbps conversion turned on. It's always roughly 2,950 tracks (out of a total of about 17,000) that re-sync every time. It's very fast on a per-track basis but the whole thing takes about ten minutes. Sometimes it does it twice -- it will start the process, and if I do something like add a podcast, it finishes and then starts again.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Anyone else also notice that adding songs on the iPod touch takes longer than adding songs on a nano

Scott549

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Transferring these files from your iPod Touch to your PC is almost as easy as plugging in your iPod and only takes a few minutes for you to backup your entire iPod Touch library to your PC.

That's not what I'm trying to do, though. I'm trying to do something really simple, like copy two podcasts from my computer to the iPod. This should take about a minute, but instead I have to wait for 2,950 files to be updated every time.

Scott549

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Yes, the iOS update did not solve it. Sure hope the iTunes update does.

Scott549

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Updated iTunes. Still have the problem. Transferred one podcast to the iPod and it proceeded to copy 2,942 files.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
i got home and looked to see if the songs were mp3 files or store bought acc files and guess what they are store bought, so i don't get why it still is doing this. I restored the iPod and everything! I'm tired of them updating stuff and then it is worse. 4.x never had this problem on my iPod touch.

Scott549

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
I went through the tedious process of deleting and re-loading about 17,000 songs to my iPod, so it no longer does the repeated copying of the 2,900 + files. Still no solution I've seen to this particular issue, and the syncing with iOS 5 is still clumsy -- I often get messages like "waiting to update" for about five minutes when all I want to do is add a podcast to my iPod.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
I went through the tedious process of deleting and re-loading about 17,000 songs to my iPod, so it no longer does the repeated copying of the 2,900 + files. Still no solution I've seen to this particular issue, and the syncing with iOS 5 is still clumsy -- I often get messages like "waiting to update" for about five minutes when all I want to do is add a podcast to my iPod.

Idk how u figured it out. Cause I deleted all the songs restored the iPod and it still does it. What's annoying is when I delete a song it had to update files again. Ten when I drag a song it has to update as well. So your saying yours no longer does that updating thing?

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
i decided to see if it was the actual file or not. The files that were saying updated were files i bought on iTunes. So i decided to redownload them straight from iTunes and that seems to be working and now it updates one less file each time i redownload one of the songs! maybe the files were corrupt. Although i don't see how considering they played fine and i bought them through iTunes.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Anyone know of a way to get a list of all the files that keep updating because it's hard to see them cause iTunes goes through all 426 very fast.

Scott549

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Anyone know of a way to get a list of all the files that keep updating because it's hard to see them cause iTunes goes through all 426 very fast.

Mine still gets hung on "waiting to update" and "preparing to update" -- but since I reloaded the music it no longer has to go through the 2,900 files. The process is still clumsy but not as bad as it was before. I don't know how you'd get a list of the files that are updating. I was trying to figure that out too.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
so you deleted all the songs off your iPod! copied all of them over again and now it works fine? see i did that and it still does the same thing for those songs!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.