Ipod Touch Screen gouged , covered under warranty?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ragalshnagal, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Ragalshnagal macrumors newbie

I received a 16 gig ipod touch 2nd generation on Christmas eve ( Dec 24, 2008)

Just today, i decided to bring my itouch along to school because i need to listen to my music.

I put it in my pocket. I made sure there was NOTHING inside the pocket on that side. It stayed there the entire day until i came home to find that there was a mark on my ipod touch. It's head on in the middle of the screen. It's showing me the rainbow effect ( pixels messed up ) It looks like somethings stuck to the screen, and it is obviously not a chip in the screen because, there is no indent. When you run your finger over my screen, you cannot feel anything. It just feels normal.

It's not that big of a deal, im just annoyed because when the screen is turned off, you see a gray spot, and when it's on, the pixels are a little messed up.

It doesn't look like any other scratch ( straight down ) it's like a blob of some sort. I tried rubbing alcohol and everything.

Is the limited warranty covering this? Or do i have to get myself a glass buffer.

I always made sure nothing happened to it. It's the only thing that i actually take care of T.T ( i have a rubber case and everything)

If i find out how to get my stupid camera to upload pictures, ill show you.

Just think of an ipod with a gray spot less than a centimeter in the middle of a screen that you can't feel.

2. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

I'd make a genius bar appointment, and tell them it just mysteriously happened. If there's an issue with impact and there's no mark, there's a good chance they could replace it.

3. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Well I can't see them fixing for you. Apple is not in business to replace or fix things that a user did but good luck...

4. AlexKaulitz:D macrumors newbie

The same thing happened to my touch screen phone. I had it im my pocket the whole day with nothing else. And when I took it out it had a multi-colored blob on the screen. I thought something wierd was just going on with it. Turns out I had bumped against something hard with my phone and it caused part of the inner screen to crack. Thats why you can't feel anything on the outside. It still worked fine but I couldnt see anything really. I don't believe this can be fixed.. I had to replace my phone. So if I were you, I'd just get a new iPod.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you dont have any luck at the Apple Store, try their phone support. You have nothing to lose, since you'll most likely have to replace it yourself anyways.

6. Bjohnson33 macrumors 6502

I agree - there are plenty of stories of people at the Genius Bar swapping things out with very little hassle. Give it a try - you have nothing to lose.

7. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

see this is why you invest 5 bucks on a screen shield.

8. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I don't think this would have made a difference.

The OP might have bumped into something iPod-first, and unintentionally damaged the LCD behind glass. Pressure between the screen and the backplate could have squished the LCD without leaving any noticeable marks on the case.

Like the other posters I'd suggest you try the Genius Bar. There's no harm in it anyway..