iPod touch Ipod touch screen has gone crazy

shazzledazzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
Hi,

For the last 18 months I've had a perfect Ipod Touch which I decided to sell to raise cash towards an Iphone. Onto ebay it went, I sold it and then got a dreaded message. The ipod doesn't work??? I received it back this morning. When I turned it on and there were red/purple/white lines all across the screen. You could barely see the slide bar in the background but not the usual one there was three of them. I held the button on the top of the ipod to restart it, that didn't work. I held the same button along with the home button for ten seconds, I could just about see the apple logo (again x 3) it did reset, but the screen was still covered in flickering lines. I then plugged the Ipod into my computer. Itunes recognized the ipod was there, it had been renamed (presumably by the buyer). So I did a complete restore. I could vaguely see the restore happening behind the flickering lines. Again everything happening was x3. But the lines still covered the screen.

Can anyone help???? Im gutted. I wish I hadn't sold it now, because it was working perfectly before. No point sending it back to apple as its out of warranty now.

Attachments

MBHockey

macrumors 68040
Oct 4, 2003
New York
Hi,

For the last 18 months I've had a perfect Ipod Touch which I decided to sell to raise cash towards an Iphone. Onto ebay it went, I sold it and then got a dreaded message. The ipod doesn't work??? I received it back this morning. When I turned it on and there were red/purple/white lines all across the screen. You could barely see the slide bar in the background but not the usual one there was three of them. I held the button on the top of the ipod to restart it, that didn't work. I held the same button along with the home button for ten seconds, I could just about see the apple logo (again x 3) it did reset, but the screen was still covered in flickering lines. I then plugged the Ipod into my computer. Itunes recognized the ipod was there, it had been renamed (presumably by the buyer). So I did a complete restore. I could vaguely see the restore happening behind the flickering lines. Again everything happening was x3. But the lines still covered the screen.

Can anyone help???? Im gutted. I wish I hadn't sold it now, because it was working perfectly before. No point sending it back to apple as its out of warranty now.
Are you sure it's the same one you sent out?

Comment

Lorenz0

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2009
You *think* so???

Sounds like the horse has well and truly bolted on this one

Comment

shazzledazzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
This is exactly why I always write down the serial number down before shipping iPods anywhere
I was a little suspicious when itunes showed a different ipod name too, so I checked the serial number was the same on the back of the ipod and it was. I don't think they have been switched, I think they just renamed it when they connected it into itunes.

Comment

RKO

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
I was a little suspicious when itunes showed a different ipod name too, so I checked the serial number was the same on the back of the ipod and it was. I don't think they have been switched, I think they just renamed it when they connected it into itunes.
I think they dropped it??? It was obviously working when they renamed it after connecting to iTunes.

Comment

shazzledazzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
I think they dropped it??? It was obviously working when they renamed it after connecting to iTunes.
I see what you are saying but I still get the option to rename it when I do a restore now. So it is possible that they renamed it after the screen died cos I can now if I want to.

I have no idea what has happened to it, if they dropped it or not, I can't prove it even if I suspect it. I just wish somebody had a magical answer as to what I do next.

Comment

shazzledazzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
Hmmm, strange that no one seems to have seen this problem before.

Oh well, maybe its worth a claim with Royalmail as it was working perfectly when it left me and not when it got to its destination.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.