iPod Touch Screen Issue Solution

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by aajad, Sep 17, 2007.

1. aajad macrumors member

aajad

For anyone who hasn't considered what may be the best way to purchase new products like the Touch: Costco. I checked with my local store in Phoenix and they looked it up and will have them on the 20th. Buy one. Enjoy it. If it has a problem, keep it up to 90 days and then return it per their new return policy. If Apple corrects it via a software update, great. If this is a bad batch, then just make sure you're within 90 days and keep returning it until you get a good one. Plus, each model is $10 less than Apple with an EXTRA year of warranty no charge.

2. colto macrumors regular

That's pretty damn sweet.

3. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

I'm waiting for Costco to get them in, which was hard after I tested out the last 8gb model that Best Buy had in stock, which was sweet but just a nibble because they didn't have any media loaded.

Costco has a great 90 day, no questions asked, no restocking-fee return policy. The only question is when will they get them in, which I imagine will be about average with other non-apple/Best Buy stores.

I don't believe that the 2-year warrenty includes the ipod, because when I read about it at Costco it only said for TVs and Computers.

Pleasantly supprised to learn that it will cost $10 less. Not much percentagewise, but a nice gesture (or 7 very berry smoothies from the Costco food court!)

4. BennyK macrumors 6502

Target too?

I believe that Target also has the 90 day return policy. Plus there is a coupon code to save 10% "TGTAFLAF" Therefore it would be $360 + $5 shipping plus tax. There site says 2-6 weeks but I would guess that is being conservative, it would likely come when other stores get them in stock. No idea when the coupon expires.

5. BennyK macrumors 6502

Can anyone confirm if Target also has the 90 day return policy? The 10% off coupon is pretty huge!

6. nowdsa macrumors newbie

Yep, I ordered my 8 gig Touch from Target's website to get the 10% discount. Their return policy is indeed 90 days (http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/602-8633554-9359815?ie=UTF8&node=10665391), but read the fine print: Camcorders, digital cameras, portable DVD, portable electronics, framed art, gas-powered scooters and hot tubs purchased from Target.com are subject to a 15% restocking fee (I assume this applies only if you open it and you want your money back). After tax and free shipping, it was $288, still a hell of a deal. My order says it wont ship for 2-6 weeks so maybe ill get a good one.

But regarding the "Costco 2nd year warranty", they WONT do it for iPods, I checked a while back when i was considering a 30 gig. I have a membership there and I know they extend the TVs and other big electronics stuff.

Actually, here is the information direct from Costco's website:

"THE RETURN POLICY FOR TELEVISIONS, PROJECTORS, COMPUTERS, CAMERAS, CAMCORDERS, IPODS / MP3S, AND CELLULAR PHONES IS 90 DAYS FROM DATE OF PURCHASE.

Manufacturer's warranty service is available on all electronics products. See manufacturer's warranty for specific coverage terms.

For COMPUTERS, TELEVISIONS and PROJECTORS, Costco extends the MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY to two years from date of purchase. Please call Costco Concierge Technical Support @ 1-866-861-0450 for warranty assistance."

7. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Costco changed the return/exchange policy on iPods and MP3 players (along with a lot of other electronics) after people rampantly abused the policy for years.

Some members had the nerve to swap out their $3000 flat screen TV every SIX MONTHS for the latest model.

None the less, Costco is absolutely the best place to buy the touch if they get them in stock and assuming you are a member. They also usually are about 5% under retail on iPods so I suspect the 16GB will be selling from them for around $379.

8. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

$269 (with coupon) is a tempting price, and I'm impressed by Target's 90 policy, I think the catch here is the 15% restocking fee.

With so many questions on the screen quality, I'd like to be able to exchange it back for no charge and with no questions.

Plus: target shipping could take a while, it might be nice to return it if the software hacks don't turn out well or other problems (audio, etc.) emerge.

Costco will almost certainly be $289 and might even go down to $279 (plus, you get a little of the back if you have an executive membership).

I'd say Costco if you have the membership (although you could tag along with a friend), target if you don't (and can mind the wait), and Best Buy for all else. Apple (.com and stores) has been stubborn for some people.

(Its too bad that Costco's warranty is only for "computers, televisions, and projectors" (sure it doesn't apply?) because a 2 year warranty would be wonderful and a deal breaker for other stores. I suppose one could make a case that with OS X and Safari, the ipod touch is a computer...)

9. aajad thread starter macrumors member

aajad

Costco for Touch

My bad on the 2 year warranty. I spoke to a supervisor and she looked it up and I saw it on the screen. They'll be in the stores on the 20th. Each model is $10 off list price. Saw that too.

10. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

If it is coming on the 20th, that might also signal widespread distribution among other (non Best Buy/Apple) retailers.

If no one else has it until the 28th, one has to wonder what Best Buy gave Apple for the opportunity (and how mad they are that the screens are defective).