iPod Touch SDK: Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sportsfrk214, Jan 11, 2008.

1. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the SDK for the iPod Touch. What kind of apps do you think/anticipate/hope will be released? Do you think that the iPod will have more flexibility with apps because they wont have to worry about pleasing AT&T? Just post any thoughts.

2. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

I'm just happy hearing Dataviz is interested in bringing their Office Suite over to the iPhone. That would make my iPod touch a complete office device with their Documents to go apps on. Calendar, Office and mail and I'm happy. :) There is something I'd like to see, a Primitive organizer that was made years ago being ported to this highly advance iPod system, Clie Organizer.

3. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

Quite the contrary with "not having to please AT&T". Apple cannot put a SMS app in and I'm sure AT&T won't be super happy if Apple allows all iPhone apps (excluding phone, SMS, camera) onto the iTouch, however, I would love to see mail and weather on the Touch.
    Maps really won't be helpful considering highways are not typically WiFi hotspots...
    I'm sure some games will be available through the SDK, too.
    Whatever Apple releases, I am pretty excited to find out.

4. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

true maps wont help, but it would be nice to have a version that downloaded all the info it needed, so you could have some adjustably on the fly.

also there are quite a few rest stops that have free wi fi... which is nice on trips

5. hecks macrumors regular

Maps already works fine on the Touch, it has a good enough cache for you to load up your journey route before you set off.

As for the main question: I think people are putting a bit too much faith in the SDK. There's so much we don't know about it yet. How are apps going to be distributed? Via iTunes? By what process? What will they cost? Will developers or individuals be able to distribute them separately, or only if they're approved by Apple? Will the SDK include an installer? etc.

My feeling at the moment is that the usual Apple control-freakery will apply here as well. I suspect that it will all be very locked-down - is there anything in Apple's recent history to suggest otherwise?

6. Darkjenso macrumors regular

it may be a bit of a long shot, but i'd LOVE to have a TV tuner.

i have one for my mac and i do love it, it shouldnt be that hard to create an app that picks up tv signals from one of those mini usb doongles things?