Ipod touch seems completely dead ..... fix and warranty question.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by An Echo, Oct 29, 2010.

1. An Echo macrumors newbie

Two nights ago i fell asleep while playing netflix on my ipod touch 3rd gen 32gb. When i woke up i found that it did not work, the screen is totally blank and it will not respond to anything ( tried restarts holding both buttons...) Upon closer inspection there was a small amount of moisture in the bottom left of the screen after two hours it was all gone. When i got home i placed it in a bag of rice for 24hrs to let it dry. Now its acts the same way and after hooking it to my pc the pc acts as if it was never plugged in ( still no signs of life in the ipod) and after 1 min the bottom left back if quite hot ( the side opposite the headphone jack)

I bet the moisture was from a rupture in the battery cell. Which is like 90$ to fix as it is not covered by warranty. People are telling me to send it in to apple but its jailbroken and i cant restore it to remove jailbreak because its dead.

1. Should i send it into apple? its under warranty but that doesnt cover batterys.
    2. Should i repair it myself? i cant seem to get the cover off like in the tutorials.
    3. Is my battery theory likely right? if so do you think it would have damaged other stuff.

2. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

Check the water sensors. If they are tripped, you're wasting your time. If not, this issue was not caused by the jailbreak, so just don't mention it, and it'll be replaced.

3. An Echo thread starter macrumors newbie

should i send it in to get repaired or bring it to apple store at the mall. also i can barely see the water sensor and it seems white.

do they cover a ruptured battery in warranty?

4. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

They should cover it. Bring it to the mall, definitely.

5. An Echo thread starter macrumors newbie

sweet thanks! do i need to bring receipts? or make an appointment?

6. An Echo thread starter macrumors newbie

also does it take a while or do they toss u a new one? ( will they check my files ? )

7. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Go their personally. They should replace it, as long as both of the water sensors are white. Like appleguy123 said, don't mention the JB. The JB shouldn't have caused it to become..... dead.

You should probably bring a receipt, I don't think an appointment is necessary unless you plan to speak with a Genius (not really necessary.). I'm not sure about how long it takes. They might check your files (???), but they probably should just hand you a new one after examination.

8. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

They just give you a new one. They won't look at your files. They erase them in the store.