iPod Touch Selling Out?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tymmini, Jun 24, 2008.

1. tymmini macrumors newbie

I've been looking into getting an ipod touch for a while, and when I looked at it again this week, some of the apple retailers showed that they're sold out. Does that mean 2nd gen is coming sooner rather than later? At least I hope so!

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I was at the Apple Store last week and there are a lot of student/education staff taking advantage of the free iPod Touch with the purchase of a Mac.

That's probably why they're out...

3. amusiccale macrumors 6502

There seem to be an increasing number of sales on the Touch, even - say - Mac Mall (http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/ipod/default~family~12.asp). [What is interesting to me, with rumors of the 27th as an App Store release date, is that their particular sale lasts through the 26th]. Whether it has to do with the decreased perception of value because of less scarcity (see the 'ebay' price debate thread) or with a new model coming, I invite it!

4. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Apple's focus at the moment is getting the iPhone 3G out the door and into as many people's hands as possible.
    I think they could afford to completely stop manufacturing / supplying the iPod touch for a couple of weeks to push the iPhone over the iPod.

Conspiracy Theorist,
    R-Fly

5. amusiccale macrumors 6502

That's true: they could be churning out miles of iPhones and be content to let the Touch run out of stock for a while. And I imagine it would push many students to select the Nano to receive an ipod sooner rather than later. This would also preserve a market among college students who would want an iPhone for the features they could have gotten from the out-of-stock Touch.

6. jptelthorst macrumors member

Maybe. But it still makes more sense to go with the touch, ebay it, and then buy an iPod nano, if the nano is what you want. However, there are probly enough people who wouldn't want to be bothered with that, even if it could get them some extra cash.

7. amusiccale macrumors 6502