iPod touch "service replacement"

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by alana22, Sep 25, 2007.

1. alana22 macrumors regular

Got a bad week 37, called the Apple store, was told they have no 16gb left. Then he says "wait, hang on"... he comes back a few minutes later and says they have a few 16 gb "service replacements" and can swap mine out for that. I ask "wait, do you mean refurbished?", to which he responds "No, never.. we would never do that with a product this new. It's a brand new iPod touch, never been opened. Come in tonight and we can swap it out."

So he says there are no 16gb touches, then voila, 2 minutes later he realizes they have them (or at least one) .. and he refers to it as a "service replacement". Any clarification here? Am I about to turn in a brand new defective product for something that's been used or fudged around with or even refurbished?

Am I to believe Apple Stores literally hang on to extra stock, despite high demand, in the chance case that someone may want to return one and not deal with waiting around for a new shipment to arrive? Something doesn't sound right.

*nose crinkle*

2. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Yeah, *nose crinkle* all right. I tried to exchange mine last Fri. - they said on the phone they'd hold a new one, but at my end-of-day Genius appointment, they couldn't find it and said "that person never should have told you we'd hold it, we don't do that." At a minimum, sounds like they don't have replacement units as policy.

Be sure to check the serial #! If the screen's OK and it's week 38 or later, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

They may keep a certain number of units in-stock for ... replacements!