iPod Touch shipment arrived empty; THEFT! Apple resolved immediately!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sbehr, Dec 1, 2010.

1. sbehr macrumors newbie

I saw a similar thread in the iPhone forum where people posted about receiving shipments from Fed Ex that were supposed to contain iPhone 4s, but were actually empty and showed clear signs of tampering.

tl;dr—Got a UPS package today, ostensibly containing an iPod Touch. Opened package after noticing the tape had been tampered with. Found no iPod within. Immediately called UPS to notify them and get a claim filed. Called Apple right after to do the same. Was shipped a replacement device right away by a very helpful rep. Will arrive tomorrow afternoon via overnight shipping. Apple is the best. Thieves should go jump off a bridge. Is there any direct way to submit a stellar review of an Apple customer service rep.?

Longer version—Today, I was to receive a 4th gen. iPod Touch. I was, of course, super-excited to get it, and had been waiting around the house for a bit to sign for the package and get to play with my new toy.

UPS came at around 3:30 in the afternoon with my package. The delivery man handed me his tablet to sign on, handed me the package, and left. The package was really light, but I thought little of it, because I knew that the device itself wasn't very heavy, nor does it come in much packaging.

I sat down to finish up something I had been working on before the doorbell had rung. I still wasn't fully suspicious of anything. A moment later, I picked up the package with the intent of opening it, when I noticed that the brown paper tape that Apple often (if not always) uses to seal their shipments had been cut, and that a piece of clear packing tape had been glued over it to reseal the package. Alarms were going off now, and I realized at that point what had been bugging me about the package since the moment the delivery man had handed it to me—Apple doesn't, in my experience, use clear packing tape.

I now suspected foul play, so I got a box cutter, cut the tape, and feasted my expectant eyes on the inside of an empty shipping box. I was, needless to say, furious; but I knew action had to be taken right away if I wanted to retain any hope of not flat out losing $221 (thanks, Black Friday sale).

I called the local UPS distribution center right away, and the person on the phone told me that I'd have to call Apple to get them to file a claim with UPS, since Apple was the shipper. I saw this coming, since I'd looked at a few forums at that point, so I did what she said instead of trying to push my way to a potentially unattainable solution with her. (By the way, I must mention that she wasn't entirely unhelpful, as she took my information down and started a claim or whatever in their system. Well, supposedly, at least.)

I called Apple next and reached a very helpful customer service rep., who, upon hearing my explanation, immediately got the necessary processes rolling. He asked me to describe any tampering that was apparent in the packaging, what was in the box when I received it, etc. He then told me something to the effect of that he's filing a claim with UPS and filling out a new order for me for a free replacement iPod Touch. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow via overnight shipping at no charge to me.

Now that is customer service, I must say.

Is there any way I can commend the rep. who helped me to his supervisor for his poise, professionalism, pleasant manner, and expeditiousness? (I have his name written down, but I neglected to ask him directly whether or not there's a way to report his excellent work.) He, combined with Apple's policy on this kind of thing, brought my day back from the horrible turn it took after UPS visited my house. (I'm not necessarily blaming UPS for this, because I simply can't know who's at fault. I very strongly suspect, however, that Apple is not to blame, and that it was most likely an employee of UPS.)

From now on, I'll be scrutinizing any deliveries I get on the spot before signing, so that I may detect this kind of thing more quickly if it ever happens to me again. I hope this advice ends up benefitting somebody in the future.

Any fellow victims out there?

2. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yeah, you got an empty box that weights the same as an iPod touch. Right. :rolleyes:

4. sbehr thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps I understated how preoccupied I was with something before answering the door, despite the fact that I was excitedly waiting around for UPS to arrive. Given that, I think it may be understandable how I was slow to intense suspicion, despite thinking at once that the box was a little light.

Anyway, thanks for your comment...

5. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Good to hear you got it all sorted! I would think the only direct way to praise this representative would be to write a letter and send it to Apple.

6. sbehr thread starter macrumors newbie

My first guess is a UPS employee, but who can say, I suppose. Probabilistically speaking, I think that that's most likely, since the package passed through four different cities on its way to me, going through one of them twice (that was kind of weird to see in the tracking info...).

7. nanderson97 macrumors newbie

Glad you got everything worked out.

I cant' imagine too many feelings much worse than opening a box and figuring out you are missing a $200 device.

Oh well. Have fun with your new toy!:D

8. sbehr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I may end up doing that.

9. sbehr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! And you, too, once you get yours! :)

I know, it felt awful and sort of surreal. :(

10. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

What I'm thinking is pkg weight is a very consistent thing....everybody uses it to confirm their outgoing shipment as quality audit (I've audited 20+ auto OE suppliers)....I wonder if along the UPS system they must have auto barcode scan AND weight devices, so can tell when it was tampered??? Seems easy enough to do and/or implement for UPS....bet this happens a lot there...

Hopefully 2nd one arrives intact, did you take pictures for history and documentation?? Hopefully.