iPod Touch skipping, lagging, and crashing.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Krafty, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I have the 1st Gen iPod Touch (unfortunately), and having it for almost a year, it started lagging, crashing, and sometimes between songs the previous song will skip before it changes. It's out of "warranty" and restoring hasn't done anything. Its been like this since the firmware 1.1.4, and im on the latest one.

It's really aggravating when I listen to like 6 songs, and in the middle of the 7th it just crashes.

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

During the periods in which you have issues, do you have WIFI enabled? Have you tried a complete erase ( Settings > General > "Erase all content and settings) ? Even during a software restore, the iPod will retain most of it's data, and back end software. The only real way to completely erase the iPod is to go through a "Erase all content and settings" procedure.

When that is complete, you will have to connect the iPod to an iTunes library, and throw the latest software back on it, and then put your files back on. I don't recommend doing a restore, if the issue appears to be within your current system / media files.

[​IMG]

3. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

No, don't remember the last time I enabled Wifi.
    Yes.

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Did you do a restore from your previous iPod backup, or did you upload new playlists / applications / settings manually ?

[​IMG]

5. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

New everything manually, and I hope I don't have to do that again (until Apple comes up with a way to save the songs so you dont have to handpick them again).

6. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Hmm, well I don't know what to say. It dosen't appear to be Software based, if you continue to have this issue.

The only thing I can think of is that you either have some corrupt Audio files, or something is wrong (hardware) with your iPod Touch.

[​IMG]

7. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

8. Spades macrumors 6502

Not that it'll solve your problem, but this is happening to me too. Songs skip once in awhile and I get at least two iTunes crashes a day. It just started happening recently. I'm still on 2.0.1 and this started some time after I upgraded, so I doubt it's software. Maybe something in the hardware is degrading over time. It's annoying, but I hope it doesn't get worse.

9. idsoftware macrumors member

idsoftware

Ipod Touch 32 GB

I have the same problem...

I have updated ITUNES Library, but my Ipod touch firmware is not the latest one.. do you think this upgrade will fix this problem.

Most of the music is ripped out of itunes, new songs are with AAC

any tips??

Thanks,
    ID