iPod Touch + Skype

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mooey, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Mooey macrumors regular

So is it possible to use the iPod Touch and Skype now that the iPod Touch has a speaker?

I read somewhere that the iPod Touch has a microphone chipset inside of it that isn't used.

2. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Would you not need the Skype application for iPhone/iPod Touch? I am not aware of one at this time.

3. Mooey thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, I was just assuming that Skype would make an application for the iPod lineup sooner or later. I was just pondering if it's capable or not (especially after reading today's front page article.

4. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Well, certain jailbreakers will confirm that the dock connector's Line In port has always been functional in the 1st generation iPod Touch, it's just that Apple for whatever reason apparently hadn't opened up access to it through the SDK.

It remains to be seen how much access the SDK will grant to the microphone option available with the 2nd generation iPod Touch's new headphone accessory.

I don't personally think the presence of a speaker would have been a deal breaker for a Skype-like application up until this point.

5. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

6. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I haven't seen one yet, but I have no doubt it is coming.

7. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

plus you would need internet to use it, and only having wifi sucks a bit

8. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

That's off the point.

If they get it working I would just use it as a phone around the house with AirPort and save cash, assuming it isn't delaying or has spotty sound. If I can use the Touch as a phone in wifi spots it is fine: I never expected the Touch to be phone, but if I could get some phone-like functionality I would be well pleased.

9. Mooey thread starter macrumors regular

This is what I'm hoping. I don't need a cell phone because I pretty much live on campus at my college, and I pick up Wifi 90% of the time. Who needs a $100 monthly payment when you can get it for $3 dollars a month?

10. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I was thinking of going back to college next year, and saw the campus is mostly all WiFi in dorms and all the buildings as well as some common areas. What a great deal for students!! $2.95/mo. or $30/yr. for an unlimited calling plan across the nation and Canada, assuming you are on campus most of the time.

It's like an iPhone without GPS and a camera for about 1/4 the price.