iPod touch stock shortage explained (some thoughts)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by inflynx, Oct 7, 2007.

1. inflynx macrumors member

Well shortage of iPod Touches in Europe was really frustrating. In hope of getting hands on this gadget people had been going crazy. Some even say it is the worst iPod launch ever.
    So, here is a thought. I think Apple is deliberately short on supplies. My argument is that Apple is waiting for iPhone launch in Europe (9 November) to make people buy iPhone instead as it offers similar functionality as iPod Touch. The reason being is that Apple gets much more profit on iPhones rather than on iPods as it actually gets a piece pie from the customer’s monthly contract in addition to the iPhone cost itself. To make people in Europe want to get an iPhone even more instead of an iPT I think unlocking software for iPhone 1.1.1 will “magically” appear just before launch. This all might turn out to be a tricky marketing strategy.
    So that’s a just thought however….

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I suspect its that the iPod Touch is far cooler than the other iPods. And given the lag problems on the Nano and Classic its another push towards the touch, though now thats fixed their sales should go up.

But even so my 16GB Touch has shipped (from China) 3 days after ordering so they aren't doing too badly.

3. inflynx thread starter macrumors member

Well, compare that to Classic or Nano, which you can get by poping to any electronics shop. So they ARE in fact doing badly. Extremely.

4. skoops macrumors regular

False.
    You guys don't seem to realize that the iPhone launch in europe could only be compared to the iphone launching in Louisiana, New York and Washington State. The iPhone will only be launched in 3 european countries this year.

5. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

Though it would probably make a difference to most people on this forum your average consumer has absolutely no idea about any lag problems.

It will have no effect on sales.

6. Top-Slacker macrumors newbie

Yes, but each of those 3 countries happen to have a population of about 60 million + each. So all together a little over half the population of the US, in reality it'd be more like launching in 27 odd states.

Anyway, the shortage in Europe is really annoying. Mine still hasn't come :mad:

7. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

This product is super hot.

The 'forum viewing' numbers tells me this product is just 10 fold more popular than anything else Apple is doing right now.

With Xmas round the corner I genuinely think demand could outstrip supply.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They do if they try out the different models, the lag in the Classic and Nano made the Touch look better at the Apple Store.

This is what happens with a cool new product, all of Apple's products used to be like this, it will get better though as the supply chain is improved.

9. thegrandmaster macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

Dude it took them almost 1 MONTH to get my 1st Gen Nano from China to my house just after launch.

I'd have said the touch wasn't doing half badly...

10. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Can any of the Apple consumer veterans attest that the supply chains have improved over the years as Apple has come out with better/improved products? Maybe this is a sign that Apple is really stretching itself with the release of Intel iMacs (I know it wasn't this year they started doing this), iPods, AppleTVs, and increasing consumer demands.

11. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

took ages for me to get my 1g nano also. That's because 4gb sold out world wide in like 4days and apple had to make more of them. I understand that and the same happened with the touch but that thing abot delaying untill the iPhone is crap if ppl love apple and want a phone they will get the iphone over the touch. I would anhday even if it means sacrificing 8gb of storage. I am in Australia so no iPhone yet and the same in all the other countries in Europe who are not getting the iPhone.

Typed on touch

12. Mosh macrumors newbie

To be honest I think Apple are going to have a hard time getting people to move over to iPhone and forcing you to change operator.

It was easy in the US where cellphones haven't been around all that long, but shifting Nokia in Europe and other cellphone manufacturers is going to be impossible if the terms remain as constrictive as in the US and AT&T.

I know especially Scandinavia will be an impossible nut to crack, where it's all about freedom to choose operators.

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It certainly has. The great iPod crunch of 2004 saw the iPod mini on a 6-8 week shipping time with most people waiting over the 2 month period for their iPod was awful.

The fact that Australian stores (not all of them, but some of them) had saleable quantities of iPod touches the day before it was due is amazing when compared to the dark days of '04. We had decent quantities of iPods within a week, the new iMacs took 3 days from launch to our store.

It might be a bit of a wait but it's a hell of a lot better than before.