iPod touch stolen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by WordLife565, May 2, 2010.

1. WordLife565 macrumors regular

someone recently stole my iPod touch off my desk Thursday, does Apple have any sort of tracking system to see if someone connected the iPod to a new computer.

Also, is it illegal to announce a fake reward for a stolen item, because that seems like the only way to offer a proper incentive for someone to return it, except I just wouldn't actually give a reward.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's not illegal, it's just a dick move.

3. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I don't know if the iPod actually phones home during an initial sync. Even if it does you still need the exact product number and serial number.

4. dom91932 macrumors member

I am pretty sure that Apple cant. They do not have MobileMe for the ipod touch and that is the only way apple can track your stuff.

5. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

+1 maybe the iPod can self destruct and burn the thieves

6. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

You can use MobileMe with an iPod Touch, but it has to be connected to a Wi-Fi network for it to be of any use. And obviously it would have to have been set up before the iPod was stolen.

7. WordLife565 thread starter macrumors regular

then again, someone stealing it was a dick move to begin with, so my sense of morals are all out the window.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So if I buy it and I return it you looking for a reward, you get to be a db about it? :rolleyes:

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Uh, what? Just because you have something stolen doesn't give you an excuse to be an ass to everyone else, especially any person gracious enough to return the device to you with or without a reward.

10. chrisworld macrumors member

You'd have to be suspicious where they got it though to return in though right?

11. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

If you're into creating more dickishness in the world your best bet is to steal someone else's in return.

12. EchoTheDolphin macrumors newbie

Hope you don't get it returned.

That aside, you're opening yourself up to being sued BIG TIME. Even if the theif returned it and you wanted to trap them and get them charged, your methods would probably get the case thrown out.

Long story short, report it to the police, if you actually want it returned, offer a reward and don't short on it.

Seriously though, I'd be shocked if you did the right thing.

13. WordLife565 thread starter macrumors regular

Given the situation I'm in though, is where the person who returns it HAD to have either stole it, bought a stolen product, or accidentally took it (impossible at this point, because they would have known by now.)

The first two are both illegal, which is why I wouldn't feel guilty about it, because I would be getting what is rightfully mine, from someone who shouldn't have it. They aren't necessarily doing a favor, they are just righting their wrong.

Who said I would bring up charges? For one, all I want is my **** back, so I wouldn't press charges, and they sure as hell couldn't either, because there would be no way to prove that the item is rightfully theirs.

Sure it seems like a ****ed up Idea, but would it be right for me to pay 100 to 200 dollars to someone who may have just stolen it?

anyways, it was just a thought. I payed for this thing, after not having an iPod for a while, and some prick just takes it from behind me when I have my guard down. I didn't even know IB kids were thieves.

In my situation you'd be just as pissed, and probably wouldn't care much about other people either.

14. dom91932 macrumors member

I never knew that. On the apple website it says iPad, iPhone, Mac, and PC can use it, nothing about iPod Touch.

15. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I have it set up on my iPod touch. As long as it's online, "Find My iPhone" from MobileMe can find it, and you can do remote lock, remote wipe, etc. The location it identifies is close but not too exact though.

16. WordLife565 thread starter macrumors regular

damn, I guess I have to wait till I get my macbook for college this summer, and see if they have those free iPod touch deals.

I'm ****ing pissed though. With the amount of money I'm going to have to spend over the next 4 years, it really sucks losing an expensive item.

17. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

It does work with the Touch just not really as well.

And as for your stolen iPod, you're just gonna have to investigate. Beat the sh*t outta someone. If there's one thing I know about kids who steal iPods like this, it's that they aren't very smart and they told someone about it, ask around, find out, and when you do find the person who did it, don't go easy. Teach them a lesson, beat the sh*t out of them.

18. WordLife565 thread starter macrumors regular

the most i'd actually give as a reward is 50 bucks, because alot of people buy stolen iPod touches and iPhones here for like 40 to 60.

19. shaytesler macrumors newbie

Stolen Ipod 4G

Hey guys,
    Do you guys know what to do if somebody stole my ipod touch 4G?

Please Reply as soon as possible
    thanks,

shaytesler

20. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

people are opportunistic pretty much everywhere. if they think they can get something for free they do it. people are brought up being taught manners not morals. so most dont have any. so many people like to think they do, but when the opportunity presents itself they fail.

I saw a guy get up from the bus station once and his wallet was still on the bench. I was kinda far away but could see it sitting there. there was close to 15 people right there less then 3 feet away that could have said hey man your wallet is right there. instead no one said anything and 2 guys actually fought over it before i could get to the guy to tell him..

people suck. plain and simple.