ipod touch + streaming internet radio options?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by RidgeRacerType4, Aug 3, 2008.

1. RidgeRacerType4 macrumors newbie

RidgeRacerType4

Hello all,

After some denial and a lot of contemplation I've decided to upgrade from my 1g nano to an ipod touch. I've also ruled out the iphone for the time being as I could not in decent fashion afford the data plans AND be satisfied, so touch it is. After looking into both the iphone and ipod touch it occurred to me that since both of these devices have wifi, I could potentially stream internet radio stations to them and pretty much have all the music I've ever wanted in a mobile device. However, after some research I haven't found quite what I'm looking for. You see, I have several radio streams (URLs) that I have collected over the years and I'm looking for an application on the ipod touch that would allow me to play these streams just as they would in itunes. So my question is, Is such an application available? if not, is there any particular reason (such as EULA, hardware, or software implementation) that makes this not possible? Thanks for any thoughts/ suggestions

P.S. if it matters any the stations in question stream from .pls files and most of the stations stream between 96k-128k

2. Master Debater macrumors member

There are many apps available in the App Store that can give you streaming internet radio. One of the best, which I believe is in iTunes top 5 free apps, is Pandora Radio. You can create 'stations' based off of certain artists or songs, and it will stream you songs that are similar to that artist or song you chose. It's really awesome.

There are other alternatives such as AOL Radio, but I really recommend Pandora.

3. Shot22 macrumors regular

There's also Tuner, which streams live radio. I believe AllRadio does this as well. Last.fm is another radio application, but I haven't tried it yet.

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

5. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Wow. Pandora. I cannot accurately describe the goodness that is Pandora.

Tuner has also been a Godsend, since I can now listen to my most favortest radio station ever on my way to work, and my newfound second favoritest radio station when the first radio stream craps out on me.

I don't know if it's my iPhone being cranky or if it's the app, but I have had some trouble with Tuner crashing on me and forcing me to reboot because the audio is so low. They did post an update for it recently, so that may have fixed some of the issues.

6. wooo macrumors member

If you can't add the streams directly using Tuner, you can probably get it working using ooTunes, but that requires that you have ooTunes running as a server on your own computer, connected to the internet.
    woo