iPod Touch Suffered Water Damage, Need Help Please!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by anickle060193, Jul 7, 2009.

1. anickle060193 macrumors newbie

A few days ago, I had left my iPod Touch in my pants which were then put through a wash cycle for about an hour. My iPod has stopped working completely. I need to know how I could possibly dry it or somehow fix it. I would greatly appreciate any help I can receive from anyone. I would also like to know if there is anyway to change the water indicator in the headphone jack back to white as there is a thin red line on the bottom of the indicator. Once again, any help would be appreciated.

2. celticpride678

You can try to soak it in rice. However, I think that once that water sensor is on, nothing you can do with it.

3. milesbeeton99 macrumors newbie

I Need Help Water Has Made My Screen Permanantly Dark!

i was out and my very little brother who is abit slow not his falut wont go into dropped my 8gb ipod touch into the bath.
    i was mad so i dreied it out for about 1-2 weeks
    now everthong works speaker on it headphones plays music etc except the screen is permanatly dark so i almost impossible to see what you are doing
    i found the brightnesss settings (with difficulty) and turned it to full which had no effect. I dont know what to do to make the screen work again
    HELP SOMEONE!!!!

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

you are pretty much out of luck. Water is a big enemy of electronics, especially when submerged.

5. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

You're out of luck, the backlight is shot.

6. jampat macrumors 6502a

Why should apple have to give you a new iPod because you destroyed it? They need to charge a few people with fraud to stop this stupidity. It sucks that it happened, but it is entirely not Apple's fault. Suck it up, learn your lesson and buy a new one if you want one.

PS to dry it out, the rice is not a bad idea, don't try to turn it on for at least a week, preferably 2. If you try to turn it on too early, it will be destroyed for sure.

7. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I refuse to help, or deal with people like you.

8. broblk macrumors newbie

sounds silly BUT

hi
    This may not help the speakers, but if you leave the unit in a dry bowl of uncooked rice for a day there is a very good chance that it will operate, but I don't guarantee it. I've had sucess with a cel phone that was dropped in the ocean, and it recovered after the rice procedure.
    do a search on the net for this and you will find other people who also recommend the rice fix.

9. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Wrong question to ask ANYWHERE here on these forums.

Steve Jobs frowns upon you.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That sums it up. Really, you can search for ways to deal with submerged electronics as there are MANY threads, the other question is basically you trying to cheat a system.

11. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Yeah, soak it for a few days in rice pudding.

The nerve of some people!

Mike

12. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

And then eat the iPod Touch with the rice pudding?

Mm...rice pudding with the power of multi touch. Delicious! :cool:

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

Only if it's vanilla flavored.

14. AshleyMikayla macrumors newbie

I know! I dropped mine in Mountain Dew and then I let it dry for 1 or 2 weeks and now I can just barely see the screen!!!!:eek:

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

To the OP, and those others who have reported dropping their iPods into the bath, sink, washing machine, or spilling tea, coffee, water or alcohol on them, the standard advice offered remains the same:

1. Do NOT under any circumstances turn it on for at least a week, irrespective of how curious you are to check whether it'll work. If you turn it on, residual liquid will fry the entrails.

2. Place the device in a bowl of rice and leave it there for at least a week, preferably two.

3. Change the rice every few days, (rice absorbs liquid, thus it is better to have a fresh bowl of rice).

4. Pray. Or cross your fingers. And hope it turns out well.

5. Do not ask for help to commit fraud, or misrepresentation. It will not be given and it is not appreciated.

Cheers

16. itouchipodtouch macrumors newbie

I would be very glad if apple make water proof iPod.It would be a lot help to other people.

Try the rice one it might work like other said.

17. Minecraftian macrumors newbie