iPod Touch syncing wireless itunes content?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by csmitty, Sep 15, 2007.

1. csmitty macrumors regular

I purchases a song on the wireless store, mainly just to try it out. Since I was watching a movie and it had a good song. But now that i sync'd back with my computer it dosnt show up under purchased, or library, or strangly enough, under the ipod itself. Anyone else have this problem. The only literature i can find says that when you dock your ipod to you computer it will transfer over.

Maybe it just dosn't know i bought it and not paying for it. That'd be nice.

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Thread bump.

Hey guys, same problem. I bought a song on wireless iTunes, it shows up in my iPod, cover flow, etc. But when I connect my Mac, I can't find it by browsing my iPod's music library through iTunes, and it is definitely not being synced back to my Mac as promised.

I can't even re-purchase it from my Mac because it'll say I've already bought it!

My iPod Touch is set to have music managed manually.

Any ideas?

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think you just answered your own question. Manual means manual -- you have to drag the purchased music from your Touch to iTunes on your Mac.

4. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

And if you right-click on the iPod touch (in the iTunes source column), you can choose "sync back" or something like that. :)

5. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Right, I figured that, but I can't see the purchased music at all, so there's nowhere to drag it in from.

I'll try to find the "sync back" option and see if that does it.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Ah, I see now where you've said that. Are you certain that both the Mac and the Touch are authorized on the same iTunes account?

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Good point, I'll check, as I have two itunes accounts and I may not have been logged into the same one (but the iMac is definitely authorized on both accounts).

Even still, you'd expect it to list the music, and only give me an authorization request when I try to play it.

Failing all this, I may have to see if I can hack into the file system and manually copy over the music file (luckily it was just one song).

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Also, you might want to simply uncheck "manage manually."

9. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

The last time I did that, iTunes happily synced the contents from my Mac to my iPod, obliterating everything that was on the iPod. I'm a little wary of trying that again. If my song gets obliterated, under Apple's rules I can't download it or buy it again.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll try it tonight when I get back home and post an update.

10. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Right-clicking on my iPod and selecting "Transfer Purchases" did the trick, thanks guys.

11. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Gald we've been able to help you.

But what you say here is somewhat strange:

Rule #1: Don't erase content in iTunes if you still want it (even if you have a copy on the iPod). :)

12. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yeah, I figured that out ;) There is a back story...

Basically at the time I ripped dozens of CD's into mp3 to be stored on my iPod, but because my PowerBook had very limited hard drive space, I was using my iPod "manually managed" and the workflow was to rip to mp3, copy to iPod, then delete from iTunes.

At one point, well after I had ripped almost all my CD's, I was flipping through the settings and noticed that in addition to "manually manage" and "automatically sync music and playlists" was a third option, "automatically sync playlists only". I thought this seemed like a reasonable compromise (doesn't that option sound like it wasn't going to touch your actual music??) and tried it... and a few clicks later all the music on my iPod was helpfully replaced (synced) with my nearly empty library in iTunes.

I was actually so disgusted by seeing all my ripping effort vanish in a puff of smoke, that I basically stopped using the iPod (after all, all my music was gone), didn't bother to start the process of re-ripping, and indeed sold that iPod a few months later.

I used this as a basis for a feature request whereby iTunes would pop up a warning dialog saying something to the effect of "Warning! This will erase the 8,317 songs on your iPod that do not exist in your iTunes library! Do you really want to do this?" rather than instant obliteration of that much data. Everyone quickly chided me for being too dumb to notice the consequences of my own actions. :rolleyes:

I still think a warning would be a good idea.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I have seen a warning, but it's not very clear what you are being warned about. I already deleted all the music from my Touch once, which was a major pain the buns because my Macs don't have USB 2.0, so restoring over 3,000 songs takes most of a day.

14. GuysAndDoll macrumors newbie

I lost all the songs I bought directly off my iPod also.

How in the world do you right click on the iPod?

Thanks!