iPod Touch, taking screenshots....why?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MatrixPrime, Jul 23, 2008.

1. MatrixPrime macrumors regular

So on the iPod touch, if you hold the "home" button and press the "power/sleep" button, the iPod takes a screenshot of the desktop and stores the image in yout Photos. Furthermore, upon connecting the iPod to your Mac, iPhoto will open and import the photos. Anyone know why this functionality exists?

2. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

For probably the same reason as how you can take screenshots of your desktop on a Mac. To show off your desktop, apps, dock, etc, and also show examples of applications and the like. And iPhoto always opens if you have any kind of images in your iPhoto library, like when you save them from a webpage.

3. AaronRC macrumors member

It's something developers (app and website screenshots) will value.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The guys writing the books on the iPhone and the App developers are so happy about this exact functionality.

It was something not many people will use but all will benefit from it as anyone with a problem can now show us exactly what they see on the iPod touch/iPhone.

5. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

6. DCBass macrumors 6502

map shots

It's been extremely useful for my wife and I to take screenshots of the maps app before we head out of the house.

It's an imperfect substitute to being able to download map data for offline use, but it works well in a pinch.

Cheers,

DCBass

7. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I often grab a snapshot of web pages to refer to later: Phone numbers, directions, prices, etc.

It's very handy to view them later, offline, via the photos app.

8. archi17 macrumors regular

if you don't want the feature. Well, simply don't use it! It is not like it gets in the way. It is just there for people that want to use it to use it.

9. Kohkane macrumors 6502a

What about the people who have windows and don't have iPhoto? :eek:

10. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

I've used the screenshots several times actually.

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

You do know that if you plug your iPhone into a PC, it'll act like a regular camera, right? Just go to My Computer, and it'll be right there. Just go in and take the photos.

12. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

This is also true with the Touch, at least with 2.0 software on it. You get a DCIM folder just like you do with any camera.

13. BucketsTouch macrumors newbie

Humm... that's 2 things I didn't know it did.. Good too know :)
    Thanks, Mark

14. Jelite macrumors 6502a

If i've saved any pics to the touch and plug it into the pc the scanner camera wizard opens up and lets me save the pics to a folder.

I never thought of using the screenshot function for viewing offline, thats a great idea.:)