iPod Touch tethered to an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Matt1974, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Matt1974 macrumors member

Matt1974

Can an iPod Touch have internet access if it's tethered to an iPhone running on 3G? :rolleyes:

That could be a cool app for someone to develop. It could potentially enable an iPod Touch to be used as a VoIP iPhone whenever there is no free WiFi available, since technically the iPhone would be being used as a router, and the iPod doesn't care where the WiFi signal is coming from, right? :D

2. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

If you have the iphone why would you need to tether with a touch?

3. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Unfortunately, while using that for VoIP or Skype would actually be pretty neat... it probably will not be worth your buck. Right now, tethering is not available, even as an app. You can jailbreak it and there are "how-to"s out there for doing so illegally. Bottom line is, to do this legally and save some minutes on your iPhone, you'll have to wait for AT&T to release this option. Expect to pay roughly $30 a month for it.

4. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I dont think he talking about tethering his iphone to a laptop, think he means using his iphones data plan to crear a wifi service for an ipod touch.

5. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I understand that. Either way, tethering is tethering. Tethering to a router... or a laptop, or in this case an iPod touch is all the same.

6. Sirobin macrumors 6502

Sirobin

Haha, I've actually been thinking about this, I wish there was a way. I have several friends with iPod Touches, and this would come in pretty useful sometimes:rolleyes:

7. Matt1974 thread starter macrumors member

Matt1974

Because it would be nice to be able to provide friends or family a Wifi access where only 3G is available. They could use a VoIP service like Fring where an iPhone user could not. See my point? An iPhone user could provide free internet access to an iPod Touch user, capisce?

8. Matt1974 thread starter macrumors member

Matt1974

The legality and/or the financial impact was not the purpose of this thread. Not that I don't care about them, but that is not the point. I am just wondering if this is technically feasible.

It would be nice if Apple (or anybody, though most likely with Apple consent if not jailbroken) would come up with an app that would make this possible.

9. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

How would you tether the Touch to the iPhone? You'd need a special cable that has a dock connector on both ends. Netshare, which I have requires a physical tether, it doesn't tether wirelessly, I don't know of any that do.

You'd need to set-up the iPhone as a router, which you can't.

10. Matt1974 thread starter macrumors member

Matt1974

Yes, Hutch1, that's exactly the point. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to use your iPhone as a wireless router?

May be I misused the word tethered here.

What I meant is using an iPhone on 3G as a Wifi router to provide internet access to iPods. Thanks for clarifying!

11. aristobrat macrumors G5

You've been able to do that for about forever with PDANet on a jailbroken iPhone.

There was an official application to do that in the App Store last summer, and it was removed (at least in the US).

AT&T's been rumored to be working on an official way to make this happen, but that rumors been going for over a year now. Edit: I think AT&T's just going to let you tether your iPhone to your laptop, not actually have it be a router for other computers, ... although Internet Sharing in OS X might be a way to get around that.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

But aren't the VoIP services only allowed over wifi connections?

Meaning, once the Fring service gets from your iPod to your iPhone, it's then stopped as the AT&T 3G network blocks it?

(I think that's how it works, am I wrong?)

13. aristobrat macrumors G5

I think the app itself is written to know if it's on 3G or WiFi. So as far as the touch is concerned, it's on WiFi, even though the WiFi eventually does go thru 3G.

14. marksandvig macrumors regular

Netshare doesnt require a physical connection? Unless your talking about the phone battery to be charged (it does drain)

The main problem I think would be that I dont believe the touch has a microphone

15. Matt1974 thread starter macrumors member

Matt1974

You wouldn't be using Fring on your iPhone, you would be using it on your ipod Touch. And as far as I understand, your iPod Touch doesn't care where the WiFi signal is coming from, does it?

16. Matt1974 thread starter macrumors member

Matt1974

2nd Generation iPod Touch can use the built in microphone that comes on the new Apple earbuds.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's not the touch I'm worried about. I'm assuming that AT&T would block any VoIP services from their 3G network.

I really don't know if that's the case, but that's kind of what I've always assumed. So to be clear, this is just my speculation.