iPod Touch to Television

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TwitchOSX, May 15, 2012.

1. TwitchOSX macrumors 6502

I want to connect my iPod Touch to our TV so I can watch the movies I have on the iPod on the TV. What type of cable do I need? Can I pick one up at Radio Shack?

2. mohammadkm95 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

Yea radioshack sells them. I think theyre like called apple video cables. Theyre like $40-$50. You can call or look it up online.

3. cshel24 macrumors member

Is the iOS version you're using have an effect on this? I remember somebody saying that their cables worked with 4 and not 5.

Also, if they do in act work on 5 would it be safe to assume that the same cables would work with iPad?

4. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Yeah but I think for that price the OP should consider the Apple TV (even a second hand 2nd gen would do, although those are expensive now since the ATV3 is not jailbroken yet). $99 bucks and all you have with that plus AirPlay.

If they sold a cable for 10 bucks, then obviously ATV would seem like a stupid choice unless the OP wanted one.

Also AirPlay streams it all, while the cable just video and some apps as far as I remember (not to say that the OPs wish is simply stream video from the iPod and that's it, but I throw the ATV option out there for consideration).

5. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

I completely agree with this; I got my GF an adapter (which was made by Apple and I think it was about $30+), and an HDMI cable (which I think was another $40ish); so if I had it to do over, I'd definitely go the apple TV route.

6. RobinHood5 macrumors regular

I reccomend the one made by rocketfish. It's really durable and works great. Along with the video cables there's a USB cable that is used for Charging your iPod while watching video. I think it's bought from bestbuy.